1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this reason for a refund understandable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Apr 3, 2014.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Some of you may have seen the thread I posted about the G&L LB-100 that I ordered back in August and how basically the whole experience has turned into one giant pain.

Long story short for those of you who don't know, I ordered a G&L LB-100 back in August and it arrived in November with a twisted neck. I didn't get it back until yesterday which meant that I waited longer for the replacement neck than I did to get the bass built in the first place. This was frustrating, but I gave G&L a chance to make it right.

Yesterday as I said the bass came in and while the good news is that the neck is fine and it plays great (there are a few "oops" marks from the fret file that I am choosing to ignore, but that's a minor gripe in my book). The issue now is that the input jack is very fiddly and keeps cutting in and out. Also, there is either a ground or shield issue and the bass (split coil P) is extremely noisy when the tone is all the way open if I'm not touching the strings. More so than would be acceptable. There is even a "pop" or "ping" when taking my hands on and off the strings.

We only have one G&L dealer nearby and they don't really do electronics work. But still, the owner is working with the warranty guy at G&L and is going to try and fix the problem. I'm accepting of this, though he doesn't seem very confident in his ability to fix the humming issue depending on if the usual suspects are ruled out (ground continuity, bad connection). So it's possible that he might not be able to fix the problem 100%. If that's the case then the only option is to send the bass back to G&L.

If this happens, I am DEFINITELY asking for a refund because having to ship the bass all the way across the country for an electrical issue, and having to wait ANOTHER 3 weeks minimum to get it fixed (given shipping times) is in my opinion unreasonable at this point. I've already spoken to the rep at Jim's Music (where I bought it) and he is in 100% agreement with me since he has been essentially suffering along with me since Day 1 and he knows all the crap I've dealt with.

Now to my dilemma: I think it's understandable that at this point, I'm worried that I'm no longer in love with the idea of owning this bass. Maybe once (and if) it's 100% fixed I will forget all about it, but this was my first custom build. I poured over my options and planned this out daily for a few months. It's like having a dream turn into a nightmare and I'm just tired.

So, lets say that the bass does get fixed 100%, would it be understandable that I'd be considering forgetting the whole thing and returning the bass for a refund based on the fact that this entire experience has essentially shaken my faith in the brand and I wouldn't feel like I had an instrument that I could depend on? The rep at Jim's Music knows how I feel and I believe he supports me returning it for a refund if I just wasn't satisfied with it. It's a unique situation after all since according to him, he has never encountered this kind of hassle and delay with any G&L bass he's ever ordered for a customer.

I'm still going to give it a shot to have it fixed and then see how I feel after. But I'm just trying to be realistic with the fact that this whole experience has tainted how I feel towards owning this instrument.

2. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It's disheartening that there are still things not quite right with this bass. G&L has always turned out such beautiful basses. I especially love the finishes I have seen on special order ones. I would hate to go through all that shipping time just for some minor electrical issues. I am sure your dealer could handle fixing it but they probably just want to stay out of it at this point. I would ask them to square away the jack and check the grounds/connections etc. before shipping it back to G&L. I would also give it a fair chance to prove itself as a "Keeper". Best of luck.

3. joelns

joelns

I went through something similar with another product. The last time it came back, it was absolutely perfect. I've grown to really appreciate it and love the blasted thing. So much so that my wife bought one too (it's a custom bicycle frameset). I've gotten past the mess from the initial warranty issue and the company did stand behind it and make things right. Took a bit longer than I'd have liked, and the shipping costs added up. But all in all, I'm really happy with it.

If they get it fixed up, give it a chance. Sounds like they are trying to do right.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

You have a very good case for a refund here. Personally, I would go for the refund and move on. Stop worrying about it. Are there any other brands you can go with right off the bat? Did you really have to go custom or can you get a reputable guy to do what you want to a bass?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Winfred

Winfred

Either refund it, or they should send you a new one, with no problems.

7. fourstringdrums

I think should I cut ties with the G&L I want to get a Carvin PB4. I originally was a little put off by the pickguard and pole-less pickups as it's not traditional and I wasn't sure how I felt about that. But after seeing the quality work that they put out and the fact that I can get more options for the same money and should I have a problem I can talk directly to them, I might be changing my mind.

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

you have entered the Refund Zone...

9. fourstringdrums

Waiting for a new one would require another 2-3 month wait and I just don't have it in me at this point. Besides, the fact that this bass has had two issues at two separate times from the date of build doesn't leave me very confident that I'd ever get something from them that I'd be happy with. The electronics were fine when I sent the bass back almost 4 months ago and now they're screwed up. I don't know..

10. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Get a refund, choose a better company.

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

I believe the Carvin basses have a refund policy if you don't like them. They have a lot of nice options. Sure, they seem a little weird looking, but if you are anything like me, the strange look of bass becomes much more tolerable if the sound is good!

I bought a custom Mike Lull bass a few years ago. Beautifully made, but sounded and played terrible. Nothing Mike Lull did, just not for me. I ended up trading it for a white Spector 5 - lost money on the deal, but got the best sounding Spector I have ever had. I still have it to this day. The trade was worth it 100% - to me.

12. joel406

joel406

Now I don't have to write a long drawn out post about the reasons I refuse to get anything custom. Ever! If I can't touch, see or hear it I don't want it.

13. squirefan

squirefan

But the point is not personal preference/taste, rather unacceptable technical issues, particularly on a custom build.

14. fourstringdrums

I'm starting to see them as unique. You don't see it and think "Fender Copy", not there is anything wrong with that. But at least you know you have something someone else doesn't.

15. fourstringdrums

Actually the point is more of once those technical problems are resolved, is it understandable to no longer be excited for the instrument because it has been tainted from the experience. Like if I bought a car and it had a few unacceptable problems right away. Yes it would be under warranty, but I'd probably have a hard time feeling good about my decision to buy that car. Granted that's a more extreme example.

16. Fit4pain

Fit4pain Gold Supporting Member

I know this will sound crazy but yes I would get a refund and then reorder one just like it. The LB 100 is a great bass and all companies put out a bad bass sometimes. If you talked to them and ask for a refund and tell them you want to reorder one maybe they do something for you. It is worth a try.

17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I think I would take the refund. That being said, I think this is just a string of bad luck, and is not at all a reflection on G&L as a company.

18. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

G&L is a good company, that makes excellent instruments. This is just a string of bad luck.

19. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Agreed. But for the O.P., it sounds like it's time to cut ties and move on. Just like when a girlfriend doesn't work out. She might be great for someone else, but absolutely painful for you.

20. squirefan

squirefan

I stand corrected.
    Sounds like the experience leading to your apprehension has answered your own question.:smug:

21. sjeverett

sjeverett

I compeltely undertand your problem. In 07 we bought an '07 Toyota Tundra. Black 4doors V8 absolutely sexy truck. @10,000 miles the motor locked up. Went thru hell with Toyota to get it towed and then fixed. They wanted to charge me $16,000 to fix it. Needless to say they rebuilt the motor but under "good faith policy" not warantee because of a batch of bad cams they used. Took months to get truck back. We got it back and a flywheel bolt backed out. Took another 3 months because Toyota was "out" of bolts. The dealer we bought it at wasnt the dealer doing the work but when we got the truck back, we were refunded 100% of the purchase price even the TT&L. Even tho the truck was running like a top, we weren't in live with it anymore. If you've lost that loving feeling, by all means, take the refund and run.