Is this slapping?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

Is this an advanced or intermediate level of slapping?

2. kevteop

kevteop

That's easy with very little practise. Bog-standard stuff really. I have never, ever practised slap and even I can do that.

3. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

I like it and I cannot do it,..... yet.. But I am striving to be able to play like that fluently and smoothly. So At least I am head in the right direction if you think this is easy. Now. What is he doing that I can know that will enable me to be able to create this and not have to search youtube videos to know how to do it.

4. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

I watch these videos with players reviewing instruments and every one goes into a cool slap thing to show the bass's versatility and it sounds so cool. I would like to do that. You know just what your seeing on the link above. A little 4 or 6 or even 2 bar groove that I can play with. You know, even create or embellish a little and I understand that there is so much more to slap but this is what I want out of it....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Limo

Limo Gold Supporting Member

My technique is totally different. I try to have my thumb pretty "stiff" (that is always in the same position) and try to move my hand around up or down, depends on which string I'm slapping. That way I have more room to slap on the bottom strings and my hand position is pretty much always flowing the same. Look up Mark King and there you'll see how smoothly it can be without changing positions. But too each his own :)

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It is exactly the kind of thing that's very easy to do and looks difficult. Good lick to learn.

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I call BS. You might think you can do it, but if you've "never, ever practiced slap", there's no way you can do that cleanly, consistently, and with a good groove.

To the OP, I am not some industry professional, just another guy out there in small-time gig land. But I've been playing the bass for a quarter of a century, and I am an avid slapper. I would *not* describe that line as a beginner line, especially at that tempo. Yes, it's a fairly easy line... to someone who uses the technique regularly. But it's not a starting point for learning to slap. He's combining several different technical elements which are all building blocks of the technique, and are best mastered a step at a time, not all at once in an attempt to learn a line that others have deemed "easy".

I think this is an important point, because I don't want you to get discouraged. If you've just started slapping, it's not fair to expect yourself to be able to play that line right off the bat. You need to master some basics first. Once you have those, you can easily assemble them into that line and similar.

Start with this instead. It's a classic video that will guide you step-by-step through all the basic moves, and then show you how to build on that to get basslines like the one in your post... and beyond. Plus you get the added pleasure of making fun of his totally 80s haircut, glasses, and production values. :D

9. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I'd call that "intermediate." The clip sounds good, with a nice, compressed sound.

10. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Beginner line,Advanced execution.

11. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member

Couldn't have said it better.

12. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I think of slapping the way I think of drumming. It needs to groove, first and foremost, and the more you throw in the less groovy it usually gets. Timing is everything and playing something less complicated but "in the pocket" will have way more impact on anyone with ears than some "advanced" slap line played sloppily. For example: