1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this something to worry about

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lifeoffroadbass, Feb 11, 2014.

1. lifeoffroadbass

lifeoffroadbass

So I am about to buy a 1998 Warwick Fortress One and the bass is in really good condition for being that old. Its in dire need of a cleaning but that's about it.

However, there are two things that I am concerned about.

1. It has Treble and Bass Boost knobs on it. When you boost the Bass, or turn it up, the overall volume of the guitar goes down??

2. Bass has an Active P/J pickup configuration. For some reason the P Pickups are considerably louder that the J. So the guy I'm buying from has the P pickups pushed down to the wood and the J pickup pulled out super high to try and compensate (which doesn't really)

So is this stuff easily remedied or am i looking at buying new electronics?

Oh and the price of the bass is $800 which hes only willing to drop down to $750.

2. fiftyfiveHz

fiftyfiveHz

It's normal for the pickups nearer the neck to have more output because the fundamental of the string is moving farther there.

And if the bass has a knob that can make the volume of the guitar go down, that will prove very useful. :)

3. GM60466

GM60466

Buy it! Play it! Enjoy it!

4. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

I own a Streamer Stage I, it's a nice bass. Turning the bass knob up does not make the overall volume go down, in fact, just the opposite, it makes the overall volume go up (since this is an active bass with active tone circuits).

Changing the height of the pickups is actually the way to get them to balance in volume, so it seems like he's done the right thing, just not enough of it.

It it's a legitimate Warwick Streamer Stage I that is a killer price.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I'd go ahead and buy it as long as it is structurally sound... pickups and preamp can be replaced if needed, and you;d still have a nice Warwick far below what a new one would cost.

7. Bobster

Bobster

lifeoffroadbass,

It's normal for a P pickup to have a higher output level than a J type. It's also normal if you start to lose some volume when blending pickups.

There are some things that can be done, but neither of these things is unusual in a P/J type bass.

All the best,

Bob

8. lifeoffroadbass

lifeoffroadbass

Thanks everyone! I understand the pickup volume being louder for the P style, however, it just concerned me that it was so much louder. Maybe I'm just not used to that pickup configuration.

In terms of the Bass knob, I hope I am explaining it correctly. This is not the volume knob. This is the Bass Boost. It goes one direction to lower Bass Tone and another direction to raise the Bass Tone. When I raise the Bass Tone is when it lowers the overall volume of the Bass. That cannot be normal and seems to me like a circuit board issue or maybe the knob pot?

Thanks again everyone for the great feedback!

9. lifeoffroadbass

lifeoffroadbass

Yeah it is a beauty! Ill see if I can get a pick.

10. lifeoffroadbass

lifeoffroadbass

No its not a Streamer its a Fortress One. They still make them, however, only a Rockbass and or the new 2014 limited custom shop model.

If it were a Streamer Stage I, I wouldn't have even hesitated. I would have given the guy an extra 50 bucks just cause I would have felt bad! hahah

11. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Ah, ok, I stand corrected.

As for the bass control lowering the overall volume, I have to agree that is not how I'd expect it to work. Could be a bad battery? Could be an issue with the amp? Or it could be an issue with the control, although I can't imagine how an active pre-amp bass control could do that.

The P/J volume difference is solvable, I did it by sinking the P pickup into the body and raising the J pickup closer to the strings.

Then I have a 2nd P/J bass where the pickup volumes are not balanced, but set to sound very nice when both are run at full volume- note that bass has a Volume/Volume setup rather than Volume/Blend.

Ultimately how you want the pickups to balance in volume against each other depends on what you want to do with the bass.

12. sbass traveller

sbass traveller

If the volume is diminishing when you increase the "bass boost" check the eq settings on your amp perhaps?