is this unethical?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Strat Hater, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I have a mim jazz and a geddy jazz. I thought about swapping the necks and bridge then selling the geddy body with the mom bridge and neck.

Is this wrong to then sell the geddy body and mim Neck and bridge as a mim fender jazz?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

You should sell it as a bass with a Geddy body with an MIM bridge and neck.

If you assemble it well and price it accordingly, I see no reason not to describe it as what it is.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Is the mom bridge hot?

:bag:

4. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I played in Lethbridge once... I think it's best to be honest with this kind of thing. When it comes to basses people like to know exactly what they're getting. I certainly wouldn't be happy if I was your buyer and I found out that you'd made the switch. That, to me, would be grounds for a return and a negative feedback rating.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

+1

7. cnltb

cnltb

+1

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Honesty is never unethical.
    Let any potential buyer know exactly what he's looking at.

9. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

all you have to do is list the change as you did in this post and you are good to go :)

i guess it is mim either way, but how would you feel if you bought a MIA "Fender" that you later found out had a Squier body, for example?

10. GM60466

GM60466

it is done all the time

11. IPA

IPA

Wouldn't it be a funny world if people paid by how well things played and sounded, not by what they were assembled out of?

Disclose and you're fine. A great deal of the charm of Fenders is the ability to mix match swap and create combinations of parts that you like, IMO

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Why bother attaching the MIM neck to the Geddy body? Save yourself the assembly and setup headaches and sell the parts separately. You'll probably end up making more money.

13. Rocktometrist

Rocktometrist Supporting Member

That's assuming things like long-term stability aren't a factor.

Poorly-aged wood can sound and play great at first, until it warps and becomes unplayable after 6 months. Basswood is a fine tonewood, but it's soft and dings easily--so if a buyer treats their instruments roughly, they may want to make a different choice.

So, yeah, I'd like to know what I'm buying and what it's made out of--because even if the seller doesn't think it matters, a buyer might.

There's no harm in being honest--and if you think there IS harm in being honest (i.e. a lower sale price), then it seems you would be concealing the truth for personal financial gain, which sure sounds unethical, anyway...

14. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Typed and spell checked on my tablet. Must turn off auto correct :)

I believe you are all correct in full disclosure just wanted another opinion thx