Is this worth repairing? Total newbie..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by saeroner, Dec 18, 2013.

1. saeroner

saeroner

Never repaired anything but the strings on a bass. My Uncle gave me this POS and I thought it might be cool to try and repair it to gain some knowledge about the instrument. Not sure if it's worth it.

I own a fender j-bass and have only been practicing that for 2 years.

Would replacing the pickups, insert, strings maybe bridge be worth it? I was thinking it might be a fun project but i've never done anything like this. I watched a few videos on Bass Guitar setup on youtube. Seems cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. skot71

skot71 Guest

Can't see the pics. Any more details?

3. javadog

javadog Supporting Member

Maybe and maybe not. First off, is the body, neck and fingerboard wood in decent shape or just cheap junk. I would
    have someone experienced with instrument repair to look at the neck to see if it is warped or if it can be adjusted to playable condition. See if you can adjust the truss rod to get
    the neck close to flat. The neck, body and fingerboard will need cleaning. You can use electronics cleaner/lubricant on the pots if they are scratchy. I would get some new strings for the fender and put your old strings on the POS. Don't put very much money it it, it will probably still be a POS after you have worked on it, just less of one than when you started. Have an idea how much you are willing to spend on it and don't let it become a bottomless pit you are throwing money into to replace and upgrade a lot of parts. I did this once with a junker I bought for $50 to make a beater/practice/travel bass that I could throw in the car and not care if it got stolen. It will be good for educational purposes and if you mess it up you have not lost much like you would if you buggered up your good instrument.

4. saeroner

saeroner

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lundborg

lundborg

Pictures are VERY large, consider resizing...
    These are cheap basses, not necessarily poor though.

I suspect the pickups might already have been upgraded.
    I would get new strings for it, fix the loose pot and have it
    properly set up.

7. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Is there anything actually broken on it? I can see that one of the volume pots is sunk into the body; that could just need a nut, although I don't know how easy it would be to get just a nut for one of those. For a few bucks you can get a whole new pot, and for a few bucks more, a new knob. I'm sure it could use a set-up, but unless there's something broken that's not apparent from the photos, it looks like you could have that thing fully functional for about the price of lunch. It's a low-level instrument, but that's still a bargain, I'd say.

When it comes to upgrades, that's a different question. First, I'd get it set up properly, and see how you like it. If you like how it feels but think it needs a little something extra tone-wise, you might want to think about getting different pickups; that's not necessarily a waste because you can always pull the good after-market pickups out and put the stock pickups back if you decide to get rid of it. But I wouldn't put a lot of work into it otherwise, unless you intend to keep it for the long haul, because you'll never get it back out of it. I would not worry about upgrading the bridge because (a) that bridge looks like it's probably just fine, and (b) it's not a standard screw pattern, so you won't be able to just drop any old Fender replacement on there without drilling holes, and I don't think the potential benefit is likely to warrant that kind of surgery on that bass.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Since you don't know if the pot is metric or standard, take your new find to a local tech and beg a nut and washer for your pot and get that on there. After that look up the setup guide and learn to do a setup. Do it with the old strings and see how the bass feels compared to your J. if you don't like the way it feels don't waste money on strings, just dump it for what you can get for it. If you like the way it feels, get a new set of strings and do the setup again using them, then plug it in and see how it sounds. If the pups are anywhere decent and it sounds good, keep it. It's always nice to have a beater just in case. unless you know you will be keeping it, I'd be careful about putting any more money in it because you will never get it back out if you off it. If you don't like it as is, sell it and use the money on your J bass.

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

There is nothing in your profile, so we dont know where you are located ... but since you have the bass in hand, if you are near a knowledgable TB'er, I would bet there is a pretty good chance that you could swing it by and have him/her/them take a look at it and give you an opinion ... lots of good folk around here always willing to help, but we need to know where you are, etc., etc ... a completed profile is your best friend when making inquiries ... and welcome to TB ;)

10. Warhawk

Warhawk

Looks similar to a Lyon by Washburn bass I was given. Not the best by a long shot but certainly good enough to learn repair on. Well, as long as the neck is straight ant the truss rod works. Mine is a dual-action truss rod, by the way. The worst part on mine was the tuners which a couple just would not stay in tune for longer than a few minutes so those I replaced with some decent used ones but were cheap because of finish wear.

I'd say just have fun with it and replace only what doesn't work.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't see anything wrong with it. Put a new set of strings on it, do a setup, and play it.

There's nothing wrong with the pickups, bridge or hardware on that bass. It's very serviceable.