1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is Your Band Established?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Feb 4, 2013.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I think we have all seen this classification come up in other threads and posts. However, I have not seen any recent discussion regarding what “established” means.

The purpose of the thread is to come up with a good working definition of “established band” I’m sure it means different things to different people. Doesn’t matter if your original or cover, however I think it pertains more to actively gigging bands

Here are a few bullet points to get the discussion started;

1.What does established band mean to you or how would you define it.

2.Is your band established.

3.Do you want your band to be established.

4.If your band is established, how did it happen.

5.What does being established bring to a band, what are the advantages.

6.How does a band become established, what is a criteria for being established.

Blue

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I can't really start until we see some definitions.

While my band has been together for 7 years , I am not sure longevity means established.

Blue

3. modulusman

modulusman

My band has been together for a long time. Three out of 4 members have been with the band at least 10 years. We don't gig as often as we use to but we get paid well when we do.

4. nightingale

nightingale

--

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I don't trust the establishment.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

A band that is known on a music scene, has good relations with venues and other known bands, and can draw a consistent crowd. *note* A band can easily be established in one city and not established at all in another.

By my definition, yes, but there is always room to grow!

Yep.

Hard work and dedication towards perfecting our craft and getting it out to the masses via means of gigging and releasing recordings.

You tend to play the better venues in town, venues and venue owners start contacting you rather than vice-versa (aka, booking becomes much easier), other bands (both local and out-of-town) start contacting you for networking/gigging opportunities, studios may offer you reduced rates or even pro bono work, you have more say on gigs where you're playing with other acts, individual members of your band might be given opportunities to sub or join other bands (including ones bigger than your own), you may start getting into venues for free on nights you're not even playing, etc... Needless to say, there can be a lot of perks.

It's a mix of genuine hard work, talent, and luck.

8. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Blue, I think I read once or a hundred times you are old and have been playing along time.... I think you know what established means... I kinda think if you are in a cover band and the venue takes your calls you are established.

9. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

As far as I'm concerned, actively gigging = established. It's just a word to use in a craigslist ad to distinguish a band that has most of the necessary members and has actually played some gigs, from two kids who play guitar and drums in their garage.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Well, I'm not old, I'm older, big difference.

You would think I would know what established means, but when I thought about it, I had my own lose definition of it. I wasn't sure it was current or any good.

blue

11. bluewine

bluewine Banned

My band is established , but only to a degree.

We do get calls from venues asking us for available dates, so were established in that sense.

In Milwaukee there are several little patches of older musicians that have been in the city over 40 years with good local following.

These are bands or the guys that can book "Shank Hall" pack the place at 10.00 a head. My band can't do that.

blue

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    1. An established band has enough regular work to make a decent living and a following who likes them and goes to their shows.

2. Yes, but the funny thing about that is the proving period is never quite over because of new gigs you might pick up along the way, so establishment hangs by a thread at best. And every audience is a new proving period.

3. Yes, but like I said...

4. Hard work and good shows.

5. Better money, better gigs, better accommodations, things like that.

6. That's a real funny question that changes through time. For example, you can lose a key member or two and have to start the establishment process all over. So really, being established is a bit of an illusion.

13. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Being established means at least locally your band has name recognition.

Being established could mean better venues and more $$.

Blue

14. recreate.me

recreate.me

I would agree with above. Established can change by traveling 30 minutes down the road lol

Established would mean being 'well known, and well liked in a scene', and doesn't necessarily apply only to bands. Certain people in a music scene can be established which may mean that any band they are in may be established by extension.

I would consider my band to be 'established' in our music scene, in our area.

I know many people in the same scene that would be considered established, and because of that it seems like any band they form (which seems like a new band every 6 months) is automatically known, and welcome to play anywhere. Venues just trust that person knows what they are doing and extends that to the band.

Establishment usually means you have talent, considerate and your likable. Which can happen quickly, or something that you have to work hard and prove it.

Its like anything else, some people/bands just have it, and its known on the first show, or it might be something that takes years to click.

15. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Very true, for example if your in a band where you have a unique front person the people are actually coming to see.

blue

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I consider an 'established' band as one that is up and running. Has it's own PA. Has steady gigs and has a following. I would consider the band I'm in to be an established band.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Interesting you added that bit.

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Why is that interesting? Does every club in TN supply PA?

19. bluewine

bluewine Banned

To be come established, l do think how long the band has been in existence comes into play.

Press releases and consistent bookings so people can come out and see the band.

If your a new band and your gigging once every 2 months it could be a tough and longer road to becoming established.

Blue

20. bluewine

bluewine Banned

If you mention your bands name to local musicians do they know your band?

Blue

21. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    If they are playing in bands in the same genre.....yes. There are a LOT of bands in my area. No way to know them all or even know all the musicians. But the R&B, Soul, Funk scene is small so we all pretty much know each other or know OF each other.