1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is your most expensive bass your best 'player'?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Jan 10, 2013.

?

Is your most expensive bass your best 'player'?

1. Yes

496 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. No

350 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass Supporting Member

No for me.

My rickenbacker 4003 pales in comparison in terms of sound and playability compared to my stingray std and classic. It does look really cool though
  2. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

The bass that is my "least expensive" is my 2008 Fender American Standard - it is my numero uno. My "most expensive" is my Ric 4003 and it spends most of its life in the case.
  3. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

I'm currently the only "yes" vote because of the difference in quality between my most expensive bass and everything else I have.

If I was twelve, I'd also state that my most expensive bass plays better than yours. I'm not, and I won't. :p
  4. ThunderV

ThunderV Supporting Member

My Stingray 5, I wanted that bass since I was 16. I have it and am trying to justify selling it on a monthly basis. Man, I hate it when I'm wrong.
  5. dbd1963

dbd1963 Supporting Member

In my case, I just got a Warwick Thumb, which plays like butter. My other basses are all much cheaper. I'd have said my Geddy necked Fender was equal to it if it didn't have an uneven neck. :/

But Warwick's are always pretty dang impressive to play.
  6. msact

msact Supporting Member

My MIM P bass is my best player and also the cheapest in my lineup.
  7. mcn1979

mcn1979 Supporting Member

I love my 4003, playability and tone. I grab it over my MIA Pbass Deluxe. So, I guess my answer is yes.
  8. old mark

old mark

My most expensive bass cost $213, including shipping...Epiphone EB3 Pearl Limited Edition long scale. GREAT player.

My other basses were far less money...all are good players, but this Epi is my baby.

mark
  9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

I guess this is nit-picking, but for me it depends on wether most expensive means the most I paid or the most the bass originally sold for. I have a few custom basses that were originally over $2,000 but I bought them used and paid less than that.
  10. Winfred

Winfred

Best feel is my MIJ Mustang. "Spongy" and easy to play. Paid $500 bucks for it.

2nd best is a 90's Warwick Fortress One.
  11. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction Supporting Member

my best player(S) are a 2007 Highway one P and a 2011 70s classic P MIJ with the necks swapped. I truly can't decide which one is better, but they were the two cheapest basses i have. My geddy lee and my two Rays are great as well though so the franken Ps only win by the slimmest of margins. But every week in my church gig- it's one of the Ps. the rest end up being for noodling and recording.

[​IMG]
  12. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Yes. And I paid $125 for it. :D Buttery, full of mojo, sexy, tone monster, better then a Fender, best bass for metal... ;)
  13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Yup, my Tobias Classic 5.
    Great neck and balance with a strap.
  14. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

All my basses are MIM Jazz basses and the most expensive of the lot, a Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz, is in fact the best player. The differences aren't huge but the versatility that Reggie designed into the bass is as useful to a duffer like me as it is to a consummate professional musician like Reggie. I've played a lot more expensive basses in stores and while they all have little touches that are to die for, well to lust after anyway, I've never found one that played significantly better. Likewise much cheaper basses do not play significantly worse. Really the only poor players I have found are those with quite obviously poor setups and if you go to a different store or pull another example of the same bass off the wall to get one with a good setup the difference will be night and day.

When you pay a lot of money for a bass you will get a lot of bass in many respects. Excellent playability can be had at quite reasonable prices though.

Ken
  15. Itzayana

Itzayana

No.
    I much prefer my Lakland 44-02 over my ModulusQ4.
  16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Yes, without a doubt. My Roscoe(s) are my best players. My Geddy Lee is nice but can't keep up with the playability of Roscoe.
  17. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Funny, I also have a 4003 that lives in its case. It's a collector's item/art piece and not a player, tho, so it still has its purpose.

My best player is a near dead heat between my L2K (paid about $1200 for it in 1999) and my Bunny 4 string (about $1100 or thereabouts). The L2K is slightly more ergonomic but the Bunny sounds better. So I'm a 2-bass operation at the moment.

So in my case, the most expensive ones are the best players. The 4003 is the only one with any current value, but it's also a NOS "blem" that was sold as such for $900 at the place I bought it. The Bunny and L2K are now worthless, but actually cost me more when I bought them.

LS
  18. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Answered yes. And my mim p is even my most expensive one :bag:

I think some people around here spend more on a bass than my entire equipment in $$. Not a bad thing just saying I don't really have that much to spend, but I'm not particularly gassing so that works for me...
  19. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Finally I'm not the only one!!! I was a "Fender only guy" before getting my German Warwick Corvette 5 in Ash. It was a completely different experience...and so much easier to play.
  20. Wallace320

Wallace320

My most expensive basses are both 2009/2010 Yamaha Attitude Limited II (both because it's the very same model, but I got both finishes, lava red - gorgeous -and full black)
    and I love playin'em
    yet they're very hard to prepare (dual wireless system and different head and cab to play each output thru)
    So they're up there for my very best shows
    YAM ATT LTD2.jpg

Cort A4 Custom Spalted Maple Top.jpg
    I got 19 more basses, but the best player it's the one I call Lt. Dan bass, after CSI-NY star Gary Sinise bona fide band, a Cort Artisan 4 with spalted maple top and Custom Bartolini pickup and electronics.

Cheers,
    Wallace