Is your Warwick neck uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JR2M, Jan 2, 2010.

1. JR2M

JR2M

My Applied Tech. teacher made a comment the other day regarding Warwick necks and how many people find them uncomfortable; i.e. hand cramping. I've played on a few at Guitar Center:bag: but I cannot make a sound judgment because I've never owned one or played on one for a prolonged period of time. Thoughts? Pains?
  2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

On my Corvette - Sure, but only if I`m using poor technique.

On my Streamer - No way! It has the most comfortable neck I`ve ever played!
  3. ColinB

ColinB

I play two x one hour sets with my Warwick Corvette and it's very comfortable. I easily get cramp in my left hand and I never have since buying the Warwick six months ago.
  4. Surprise Panda!

Surprise Panda!

Obviously I do not have as much as a fair say as others like you because I've only played them at stores, but they seem fine to me.

I can see how others would find the necks uncomfortable, though.
  5. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

With my corvette fretless -- NO!
  6. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

I have several Warwicks, with both Wenge & Ovankol necks. They all have 1.5" nuts, generally refered to as a Jazz Neck. They are a Joy to play! Especially the Streamer, but I think it's because it balances so nicely. Fortress is a Treat as well. I have a pair of Corvettes, and they are a Tad Neck Heavy, so I play them on a longer strap to compensate. If I play a REALLY repetative bass line, like "We gotta get outta this place" by The Animals, then there is a bit of fatigue/Pain expected. But this is more because of the slightly bent wrist due to the lower playing position than the neck.

But a lot of people find a Fender Jazz Neck uncomfortable to play as well. I prefer a 1.65" nut, and a 1.75" is nice too! But the size, not the Brand may be the issue.
  7. Temcat

Temcat

My Corvette fretless ovangkol neck is the most comfortable 4-string neck I've ever played.
  8. Aspidites

Aspidites

One of the reasons I don't own one or a Jazz bass for that matter.
  9. michaelc

michaelc

The 4's have some of the nicest necks on any bass ever. I tend to prefer a P style neck over a J, but even I like the 4 string Warwick neck. The older 5 strings with the Wenge necks, however are some of the most uncomfortable necks ever. People make such a big deal out of the wenge necks, but as some one who has owned both, I can tell you the difference in tone is slight, but the difference in playability between the old and new 5 string neck profile is huge.
  10. GM60466

GM60466

I have a Proline Corvette with a Ovankol neck. There is a lot of wood on the neck, but it plays fast for having such a large profile.
  11. Headless Llama

Headless Llama

I have 2 Warwicks, one fretted and one fretless. Both are buginga Corvette 4 strings. They are the most comfortable necks that I have ever played.

Alot of people talk out their backsides. The people that say that the necks are too big, either are playing incorrectly, or they just prefer something different.
  12. PaulMacCnj

PaulMacCnj

Neck shape / size is very subjective. While I don't own a Warwick bass, I have played a few and I find the necks to be comfortable. Others have called them "baseball bats", meaning uncomfortable. But, I am partial to necks with a bit of meat on them. I don't like the ultra slim Jazz bass neck style.
  13. Shmone

Shmone

I have a streamer with a Wenge neck, and I had my cousin's corvette with ovangkol neck for a month,
    both feel great, didn't have any problem yet, feels better than my Yamaha RBX300's neck.
  14. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

No troubles here - the Warwick necks feel superb in my hands, both size and finish. Love that silky ovangkol!
  15. jrlynch

jrlynch Supporting Member

perhaps if i slept on it, but otherwise ...
  16. bamba22

bamba22

Disclosures:
    owner of beginner-bass-guitar.com
    I have one, and she is great...I'm very happy with it
  17. Bass Viking

Bass Viking Gold Supporting Member

No problems here. I play an Infinity neck through 4 string (Ovangkol neck). Not a baseball bat neck by any means.
  18. Bass Viking

Bass Viking Gold Supporting Member

Try playing it further up the neck. I play it starting at the B on the 7th fret of the E string. Much less of a stretch.
  19. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

warwick necks are my favourite

never played one thats uncomfotrable

i find some fender jazz necks uncomfortable
  20. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

i think no matter what bass u play this song on it starts to get slightly strained!

simple bass line but it can be a pain to play sometimes!!!

you can hear a sigh of relief through my mic when the chorus comes in!

:D