1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ish rubber Strap Locks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by K2000, Nov 22, 2013.

1. K2000

K2000

Saw the link for Ish products on the Talkbass splash page. It's the ol' Grolsch Beer rubber gasket trick, except these are black and not red (YAY!!!) and cheaper than buying Grolsch beer (which is not my favorite beer anyway). Also cheaper than the Fender-branded gaskets that MF sells. Great idea! I just ordered a few.

Here's the part where I mention that I HATE the mechanical strap locks… they extend the strap away from your instrument, they can fail, they rotate upside down if you move around very much (changing the height of your bass until it DROPS back down -- hope you didn't flub a note!) and you have to swap out your original strap posts for theirs.

Anyway, the gasket method is IMO the best (and cheapest!) way to secure your strap. About time somebody made some black ones! I was going to bring my red Grolsch ones to Home Depot to look for a match in black, looks like I was saved a trip and a bunch of time digging through their shelves!

http://ishcase.com

[​IMG]

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Looks like a good cheap temporary solution!

But in 20 years of playing, I've never seen or heard of failures on Dunlop straplocks, nor have I ever had them rotate upside down. Then again, I don't do the old Steve Vai tricks either :)

3. PAC

PAC Banned

Any hardware store can help you. I've been doing this for years. Never dropped one yet.

4. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Been gigging for over 20 years with the Schallers. Never had an issue.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I can't stand the infernal squeaking from those stoopit-looking metal strap-locks I stoopitly installed on one of my basses. WD40??? Who's got time for that???

Needless to say, I'm anxiously awaiting for these to arrive. I ordered them weeks ago!!!

7. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

8. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

I like the Grolsch brand of strap locks.

They hold the strap like a charm.

And they always come with a free beer!!!!

9. nashman

nashman

I take it those just go under your current strap button - so there's no mechanism to easily take your strap on/off as with a strap lock.

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I appreciate the need for straplocks, but I don't like the mechanical locks for the reasons stated above. I've tried many other ways, none acceptable. The rubber washers look like a good idea, but you will have to be sure to have a good stock of them.

My most recent trial item is some oval strap buttons from bassstringsonline.com. They are wider than normal buttons, so the strap must be turned 90 degrees to be put on or removed. So far I like them.

11. Jensby design

Jensby design

Funny, saw one fail last week :meh: first time I've ever seen that happen. I've 10 years of good luck with them.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i've never seen the dunlops fail first-hand either, but i don't like how they put the strap up off the body, which puts more stress on the screw and makes the guitar hang funny sometimes.

i've seen plenty of the schallers fail, mostly from the nut coming unscrewed while playing, and sometimes from the cup part being mounted upside down. both of these things can be avoided with a proper install, including a bit of the mild loc-tite on the nut.

it's the grolsch gaskets for me though; nothing to rattle, squeak or break, and they're proudly "guitar geek red".

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. shhhh!

... your giving away secrets ... ;)

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Installed right, schallers have never failed me since my first set that came with my US J Plus bought new in the early 90's. Since then I've put them on every bass I've owned and so far so good.

If you want to leave your strap on all the time, or fight it every time you want to take it off, by all means go for the locks that come with a free beer.

15. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Same here.

Bolded out the "installed right" because I have had some close calls because of my own laziness, but that's hardly the products fault now is it.

Why would You use moisture repellant on a straplock?
    Spitting on it would probably lubricate better.

Regards
    Sam

16. Immigrant

Immigrant

I've only had one squeaky strap lock (Schaller/Allparts type) and a little rub with a candle was all it took. Hasn't squeaked or loosened in years. I put Dunlops on all my basses, but this one was a custom that came with Schallers, so it stays that way.

17. Ds1

Ds1

Disclosures:
    President: The High Studio. Head Honcho: Ish Group, Inc.
    Hey look at this, a Strap-On thread!

Thanks everyone for the support with these. This idea was actually born of a couple TalkBass members (myself and my best bass-playing friend) so the idea is right at home here.

And thanks, guys, for your patience with the shipping. We had way more orders than expected between our crowd funding campaign on IndieGoGo and website, so it took a little longer than we were hoping.

Nope, they go over the top. They might take a second longer to put on than a click-in metal strap lock, but if thats a big deal to you then you might need to get a little extra free time in your life. ;)

18. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I used to use the Schallers but now all my bases a d straps have Dunlops. I had a Schaller slip out on me once but I caught it.

19. Salamenster

Salamenster

Geez Louis, why did they have to name them 'strap-on'?

20. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

Cause they keep ur strap on!

21. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I use the Dunlops and they do fail. The spring that keeps the little ball bearings pressing out, to keep it locked in the socket, eventually weaken, the little ball bearings (they're not really bearings, but they look like the same thing) don't extend fully and the post slips out of the socket.

I find I have to change the posts, the part on the stap, about once every 2 years to keep them reliable.

The squeaking is another issue, but it doesn't but me all that much.