Isolated bass track - Rio by Duran Duran

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Dec 31, 2012.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I found this on Youtube and thought it was pretty sweet and that someone else on TB could appreciate it, too :)

2. Shinji

Shinji

Nice one, I have been listening to a lot of Duran Duran lately.
    John Taylor rips it up big time.
  3. AllFourths

AllFourths

I love this cover -

He's a great player. I actually prefer his tone and playing to Taylor's.

On another note: That bassline is great, but holy **** talk about a song that is all chorus no verse. Those verses are completely empty and unmemorable, while that chorus is so unbelievably distinctive. The two are barely even related musically. It's definitely one where you know they wrote that chorus, then just filled some **** in to make it into an acceptable "song" form and length.
  4. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Awesome
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I actually like the whole tune. That said, I am a huge fan of Duran Duran. I think John Taylor has some serious chops. I was actually watching a really old live performance of theirs the other night and I was amazed by how well all of them played their instruments. They definitely were pretty boys, but they were pretty boys who could play well. I can understand why they made it as big as they did.
  7. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

OK so this thread inspired me to spend the last hour and a half finally learning how to play Rio. Still a little sloppy, but not as difficult as I thought. Good practice for right hand technique. It's gonna be fun annoying my band with this one at soundchecks. Fun tune.
  8. powerslave12r

powerslave12r

As a Duran Duran fan, I have always loved this track (and the bass on all Duran Duran songs). So having recently begun learning bass, I came across this video and can't figure out how to get that tone on my SR505 + Acoustic B15.

I understand what I'm asking here, why doesn't my scooter go as fast as superbike etc, but what general settings would I use to get close to that kind of a sound?

Currently I'm playing around in the ballpark of

Bass Mid boost switch either setting : 250Hz <--> 600Hz
    Bass:
    Lows: a little boost
    Mids : Max
    Highs: 80-100% boost.

Amp:
    Lows: 50%
    Mids: 80-85%
    Highs:65-70%

Can someone please guide me in tweaking these to get something similar to the tone in the video?

I understand the original sound if Fender Jazz? Also sure technique has a lot to do with it.

Thanks!
  9. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

It's a great "cover" of the bass line, or a sub-par take from the original studio recording, but definitely not the actual song track. I used this one to learn the line, and it's fantastic. But if you listen carefully you'll hear a lot of small errors: missed note on 2:20, a sloppy note on 2:27, a weak note on 3:15, another sloppy note on 4:48. Either way, thank you for sharing, it's a great cover, in spite of these hard-to-notice errors.
  10. powerslave12r

powerslave12r

I was wondering about that!
  11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

This has been posted here before. I am NOT a Duran Duran fan, but I was compelled to pick out this bass line. No denying Taylor is a bad ass.
  12. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

One of my favorite bass lines - and I can get close enough, but yeah - his skill on that track is formidable.
  13. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Same here. One of my all time faves to listen to AND play.
  14. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

My fav DD bassline of all time.
    Fantastic playing.
  15. Dean N

Dean N

The dude's a stud.
  16. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster

I never cared much for Duran Duran, but after listening to this I may have to go back and devote some time to listening to them further.
  17. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

I remember the first 892 times I tried to learn/play this song with headphones and hitting "play" and "rewind" on my dads cassette player WAY back in the day!!! I'd never played anything where my left hand had been so busy up to that point in my life. Thanks for posting ...brings back some great 80's memories!!