1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Isolation pad between amp head and speaker cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cidbass, Feb 3, 2013.

1. cidbass

cidbass

I'm looking for a DIY solution to isolate my amp from my speaker cabinet. I've found some industrial anti-vibration mats on eBay. These seem to be made for generators and heavy duty washing/dryers. Most of them are running close to $100 after shipping. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I don't want to run small pads at each corner, but one large mat to lay across the top of the cabinet.

If any of you guys have done a DIY solution to this please share. Thanks!
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Is your cab rattling your amp around? If so there may be a bracing option that will solve your problem.
  3. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

I swear I remember reading something from Rpsands about somethign he bought from home depot for $10 that fit this bill...
  4. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I've read about guys using velcro. I've been using just a piece of foam I got from a textiles store. If you really wanted to get fancy you can order a really thing sheet of sorbothane . This stuff is used in high end record players to completely isolate the platter and tonearm from large to the most minute vibrations. I've modded some high end record players that didn't use it from the factory and the results were remarkable. I used a stethoscope to listen to the isolation. Amazing stuff. It really is one of the best materials for absorbing vibrations and it has a sticky rubbery type texture. I'm sure your amp will not move with Sorbothane under it.

http://www.amazon.com/Isolate-It-Sorbothane-Vibration-Damping/dp/B004LY8UTY
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Do you have a problem with microphonics, cabinet rattle, or ???

To do it right you have to optimize pad density for the weight of your particular amp. McMaster-Carr have many possible solutions in their catalog: felt, foam, Sorbothane, etc. This site offers some interesting options too. A trip to MalWart for a camping pad to cut up is a time honored Band-Aid solution though.;)
  6. rpsands

rpsands

7. cidbass

cidbass

No excessive rattling or anything. I would just like to isolate the amp from the cabinet vibrations. I think it's a proactive approach to prolonging the circuitry.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into the links posted.
  8. rpsands

rpsands

fwiw, I have never seen anything like the Costco mat for that price anywhere else.
  9. seamonkey

seamonkey

IMHO It's a needless worry for SS amps.

Someone would have to test the isolation mats to see if they do anything to increase the life of the circuitry. This foam stuff can compress under the feet and loose any benefit. Maybe you can remove the feet to get even distribution.

Many electronic makers do send samples of their products off to be tested on shaker tables. Especially for certain industries. I've seen the PJ shaker table pictures.

Solid state stuff and most light mechanical stuff can handle vibration fine. Look at cell phones and laptops. Lighter amps have less flexing and metal fatigue. Needless worry.
  10. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    I use one of the Auralex pads between cabinet and amp. These are the ones normally used under a cab.

Wally
  11. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

how about one of the anti-fatigue floor mats cut down to size? you should be able to get 2-3 cab sized pads from each floor mat, if cut smartly. you can find these at most wood working supply businesses, any farm-fleet supply and i'm sure lowes/home depot will have you covered too.
    it may not end up being needed at all but if you feel better using one by all means use it!
  12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Interlocking exercise (floor) mats available at a hardware store. Easy to cut them to size. Stack them with carpet tape to hold them together if necessary.
  13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

I see that great minds think alike. :p
  14. craig.p

craig.p

I used folded athletic socks, 2 pairs per side, because I'm cheap.
  15. cidbass

cidbass

I like the floor mat idea. I'll swing my Harbor Freight today and see what they have in stock. I remember them having some of the anti-fatigue floor mats when I was there a month ago.
  16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

Clean ones? I hope...:bag:

edit: Will putting your amp on foam reduce air flow under the amp creating some overheating problems?

Maybe using two strips, putting one on each side, front to back may give you the isolation you want and still allow for air flow around the amp.
  17. craig.p

craig.p

Yep. I wash all my socks once a year whether they need it or not.
  18. aprod

aprod

I used some heavtduty car floor mats from Costco. Prevents sliding not too sure of anti-vibration prevention.
  19. joelb79

joelb79

You guys saying that bracing a cabinet internally will change this behavior, I think you are wrong. A well braced cabinet will be more likely to achieve Mechanical resonance because the panels of the cabinet will not fight the SPL causing these vibrations to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_resonance

I've got some serious experience with mechanical resonance from doing some DB drag car audio installs. I mean I've seen some radical things happen at certain frequencies in all different situations. To change a mechanical resonance, a lot has to be changed. No bracing would do this. It's typically weight added to the part that resonates that changes things. Lighter weight wood making cabinets more lightweight themselves is what is making cabinets more susceptible to mechanical resonance IMO. To change the mechanical resonance, add more weight to the total cabinet itself. Then the frequency things levitate/move around changes. A simple brace is not going to make that big a difference in weight to change the mechanical resonance, and will just make the cabinet more rigid.
  20. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    +1

I did this to separate a racked, 80lb. tube amp from the cab and it worked out great.