1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Israel Crosby "Bassoguitar" advert

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by milomo, Feb 8, 2014.

1. milomo

milomo

A few days ago i got the Classic Chu Berry Columbia And Victor Sessions from Mosaic records (i also got their Clifford Jordan box, the bass players on that are Wilbur Ware, Richard Davis, Bill Lee and Sam Jones!), and i found this picture. It's pretty unusual so i thought i'd put it up here. It's an advertisement for the Bassoguitar and the endorser is Israel Crosby, surrounded by some legendary friends. Here's the whole photo -
    photo 1.jpg
    That's Buster Bailey, Big Sid Catlett, Joe Thomas, Israel, Fletcher Henderson, Joe Lessey and Chu. Here's a closer-in version -
    photo.jpg
    It's a great box set, obviously tons of amazing Chu, along with incredible playing from Roy Eldridge, Teddy Wilson, and Billie Holiday among many others, and Israel and Milt Hinton are all over it.

2. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

I just sent you a PM. I'd like a good scan of that photo for my Regal Bassoguitar website. I've been collecting information on this unique instrument and I actually own one that used to belong to jazz bassist Joe Byrd (Charlie Byrd's brother).

- Steve

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey guys, thanks for the great photos! Cool site, Steve. ;)

4. bholder

bholder Supporting Member

Forgive me if I'm resurrecting a dead / zombie thread here. I've been posting this over on the BG forum, but it really does just as much belong here. I scored a 1937 Regal Bassoguitar (the dreadnaught style, body meets neck at 14th fret), banged up a bit, but functional. Arrived two days ago, let it acclimate a day in the box, took it out yesterday, swapped some strings from a broken chinese upright onto it, and I'm loving it.

Somehow, I doubt the very first thing Israel Crosby played on his was Mountain's "Nantucket Sleighride"! :D

Coupla pics:
    Regal 2.jpg regal 5.jpg regal 7.jpg Regal Bass-o-guitar.jpg

Been chatting about it and an Ernie Ball Earthwood I got at the same time over in the BG forum: www.talkbass.com/threads/nbd.1120671/

Very happy camper here. New Corelli 57ms going on Monday.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That's very cool, BEHOLDER - really nice!

7. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

I actually saw that particular Bassoguitar on eBay and I grabbed the pictures before the auction ended. I have the same model, but that one looks to be in better condition. Mine is still in the shop undergoing a neck repair.

All of the facts I know about the Regal Bassoguitar are on my website as well as most of the pictures I have collected. I have documented about 15 or so of these instruments that still exist including a mint condition fretted model that's on display at Elderly Instruments in Michigan. I was surprised to learn about the existence of the two distinct models and the fact that the original strings were bronze wound like acoustic guitar strings. I think your decision to install light gauge double bass strings is a wise one. Do you plan to gig with your Bassoguitar? I plan to install a pickup on mine once it's repaired and use it on select gigs. I will add some audio and video to the website eventually, but if you have anything to share I'd be glad to include it.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the Bassoguitar. I'll try to answer as best I can.

- Steve