Issues with a buyer

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by EdgeXXL, Mar 29, 2014.

1. EdgeXXL

EdgeXXL Supporting Member

I am looking for some advice on an incident that is currently ongoing with a bass I sold to someone in the TB classifieds. Here is what happened. I posted for sale a MIM Fender Jazz bass that I recently received in a trade deal. The bass had a couple of mods like different pickups and the input jack had been moved from the control plate to the bottom. The mods were done nicely. The bass played nice and was in overall very good condition. The action was what I would consider medium The bass needed to be set up and I left that to the buyer. I tested the truss rod to make sure it was not broken or stuck and it moved freely in both directions.

I packed the bass well and sent it FedEx to the buyer. He received it with no problems. I then received a PM from him saying the neck was warped very badly. The neck was not that way when I packed the bass and sent it to him. He told me he was going to have it checked by a tech and he would get back to me. I messaged him and told him to call me so we could discuss the problem. He has not called me at all. I offered him a refund if he sent the bass back to me.

I then get another PM from him stating that the tech he took it to said the neck was no good. I again asked him to call me so we could discuss this issue. He also stated in the PM that he was going to order a new neck from Fender at a cost of $200. I again informed him if he was not happy with the bass to just box it up and send it back to me and I would happily refund his money and I also said I would pay for the return shipping.

I am not sure what is going on here but something doesn't smell right. There was nothing wrong with the bass when I sent it to him. The price I sold it to him for was a fair average price for a nice MIM Fender Jazz. There was nothing special about this bass so why would someone spend more money on it instead of just sending it back to the seller. He would have more money in this bass than buying a new one at GC. There are several other nice MIM jazzes for sale in the TB classifieds. Something is just not adding up here.

I have asked him numerous times to contact me or just send it back to me. I am not sure what this seller wants but I am starting to think he wants me to either buy him a new neck or at least pay some on a new one. I am not willing to do this as there was nothing wrong with the original that a good setup wouldn't have taken care of. I am beginning to think one of two things are going on here. First is he got the bass set up and is trying to scam me into paying for a new neck. Second either him or his tech ended up breaking the truss rod trying to adjust it.

If he sends the bass back to me with a broken truss rod what should I do as it was not broken when I sent it out. Any suggestions on what to do about this situation. I hope I am not jumping the gun here but if I had bought a bass that was as messed up as he says this one was I would be on the phone or emailing the seller as soon as I got it unpacked. This seller has only 4 posts and no feedback so nothing to judge him by.

I have sold or bought 10-12 items here on TB and don't want any negative feed back to affect me here in any way. The amount of money is what I would consider a small amount when buying stuff like this. In his last PM he said he is feeling like he got ripped off but once again no response from him when I told him to send the bass back. How the heck can you feel ripped off when someone offers you your money back if you would just send the item back.
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The way you're telling it the buyer is a scam artist. Get the mods involved if he leaves bad feedback, otherwise stand tall. Most likely he'll give it up so he can try it on with someone else. Then get the mods involved. I hate scammers.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I'm a 100% up-front guy when it comes to selling & buying...check my feedback. I limit my buyer's protection to this:

*72 hour approval period with full refund if not satisfied.

*If there is a suspected problem or issue, I'm supportive of an inspection / evaluation by a tech but that's about it. If said tech starts dinking around with it (adjustments, "repairs", etc), all bets are off. Unless I've provided a disclaimer, gear leaves my house in fully functional condition.

*If returned (...and I've only had one), I inspect the gear top-to-bottom and only then do I issue a refund.

As far as I'm concerned, your buyer has far exceeded any reasonable time limit to return the bass despite your repeated offers. You owe him nothing and I'm highly suspicious you're being scammed for a new neck or that the neck has been damaged in an attempt to repair non-existent flaws. Be wary of such if the bass makes it back into your hands! Do get a mod involved!

Riis
  4. EdgeXXL

What really has me concerned is the lack of response from the buyer. Too me it's a huge red flag on this whole deal. I have directly contacted him by phone with no response what so ever. How do I go about getting a mod involved if needed.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    It sounds like the typical scam where they buy something and then try to get a big chunk of the money back through filing claims that the item is damaged / not as advertised / etc. When you offer a full refund upon return of the item, that flags them quickly.
  7. EdgeXXL

The buyer contacted me by PM today so lets see if we can get this resolved. He said he would send me the neck and a copy of the repair bill which I will check out thoroughly. If the neck is like he says and not able to be straightened I will work with him to make the deal right. If the truss rod is broken I am not sure what I will do about that.
  8. Zooberwerx

No, no, no!!! Do not offer this option! Get the bass back. If the buyer incurred repair / services charges, that's his own &*(% fault seeing that you offered a full refund.

Riis
  9. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22 Supporting Member

I wondering if he messed the neck up and now it's trying to blame you. Either way I don't think this will end with all parties happy no matter what you do.
  10. Donavan321

Donavan321

Wow, this is very shady for sure! I buy and sell on my local Craigslist/eBay. I'm always honest with people and since I'm not a business everything is as is. I understand these terms when buying, I don't think he can prove that you're the one at fault. It left your household in working condition, you have a known reputation of NOT scamming buyers, and whatnot, I'm smelling BS here. It sounds like he either broke it OR there's actually nothing wrong with it at all, and he wants some of his money back in hopes of scoring a free for all. I've been there and done that! I think the red flag here is he wants money back, yet refuses to return the bass. I hope you get everything sorted out soon! I know you had mentioned he sent you another pm, let us know! :)
  11. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

I smell scam, or at least something a bit shady. Buyer has 4 posts, no feedback, no info in profile. You told him what you were willing to do, very generously offering to cover shipping for a full refund. He ignored you and altered the bass. I say you owe him nothing at this point. Even the refund should be off the table now that he has "repaired" it.
  12. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Keep your messages as proof...they are time-stamped, and if he has not responded despite reasonable offer of refund, then it wasn't that important to him, was it?

Considering the zero feedback, I'm inclined to think scam.
    What tech? Where?
    If it was a tech of your choosing, I could understand that (for a Custom Shop Fender, yes, but all this over a MIM?)

I agree with Riis, if he solicits a tech, that's his choice, not your responsibility. If you got a non-functional item, wouldn't you message sooner rather than later? Wouldn't your goal be resolution suitable for both parties? In this case, refund was his best bet, he said no thanks, all bets are now off.
  13. Donavan321

Donavan321

^^^this. I also agree, I believe you are being very fair about this, I'd buy gear from you any day!
  14. EdgeXXL

This is the message I received from him earlier today.

I PM'ed him back asking who his setup guy was and if he worked at a shop or had his own business. No response back yet. I will be thoroughly checking him out once I get this information. I still don't understand why this guy won't just pick up the phone and call me. He has my number.

Would he even be able to order/receive and install a neck from Fender by Tuesday. Sounds to me like he would have to take it back to the tech to have it installed and set up properly.

Look guys I am all for working with this guy to resolve this if the neck is truly bad and not fixable. I know it was not that way when I sent it to him though. If he sends me the neck back and it is bad and the truss rod is not broken I will think about possibly helping him out.

The money is not the issue. Being scammed or asked to pay for something someone else messed up is. This deal was just done last week so it's not like he took forever to get back to me. I just find it odd that he wouldn't contact me immediately by phone to talk to me in person before doing anything else.
  15. Zooberwerx

As far as I'm concerned, you're off the hook on this one. Contact a mod immediately and secure all documentation. This is so cut & dry, it's not even funny.

Riis
  16. EdgeXXL

How do I contact a mod on this.
  17. cleary

cleary

18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

There's lists of moderators for every forum at the bottom of the page. Go to classifieds front page.

Fwiw, I agree you are free and clear of the bass and shouldn't suffer negative feedback from cutting the buyer loose.
  19. EdgeXXL

cleary that is not the same person.

I have contacted a Mod but have not heard anything from them
  20. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Under no circumstances would I get involved with paying for any portion of whatever he's doing to this bass. I would have done what you did...offered a refund after he returned the bass to me and I could inspect it. His timeline (he's recording, doesn't have time to return it, etc.) means nothing to me (and sounds like BS). Returning it so I could inspect it and then refunding his money would be the only thing I would have offered. And even then, that offer would have come off the table as soon as he decided to go dark and not respond to me.

This situation doesn't come close to passing the sniff test. There aren't just one or two red flags, there are a whole handful of them. Don't get taken for a ride by this guy because you fear a negative feedback.
  21. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I would not agree to HIS terms. Either he sends the bass back or you're off the hook! How did he pay?