1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Issues with Carvin digital power amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by magic papa, Jan 10, 2014.

1. magic papa

magic papa Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

I've got a Carvin DCM 2004LX power amp. Great amp, all the power I will ever need in a lightweight package.

It's a digital amp with 4 channels. Channel 1 works great. The other 3 don't come out of mute. Interestingly, if I connect to the amp with the software and reload the configuration they start to work OK, so the audio circuits aren't broken.

If I switch the amp off and back on after that - everything seems fine. But if it's been off for longer (i.e. next day) - the issue reappears.

Looks like a software/firmware problem. I was wondering if anybody experienced anything similar. My first thought would be to try to re-flash the firmware, but I can't find anything on Carvin site.

Perhaps there's a config battery backup inside and the battery and got flat or something. I haven't opened it yet.

I realise it may have to be serviced, but where I live this means months without the amp.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

MP

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Pretty complicated problem. You sound like you're onto something, maybe a tech from Carvin can walk you through a fix. They've been helpful to me, the one time I needed them.

3. magic papa

magic papa Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, pretty funny issue really. If any of the channels were dead quiet I wouldn't have any dilemmas. But I can get them working again by fiddling with configuration. Trouble is I need a computer for that and I don't feel like bringing one to a gig just to kick-start my amp :)

Emailing Carvin support is probably a good idea. I want to do all I can before sending it for service.