1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Issues with E String Sound - Yamaha TRB 5PII

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassTommy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. BassTommy

BassTommy

Hi,

I'm new here in the forum and I apologize in advance my english - I'm not a native speaker/writer ... anyway ...
    I have a question for those playing a Yamaha TRB 5PII but maybe someone expierienced a similar issue on other basses.
    I recently purchased one of these fine basses and here's my question.

Did someone noticed a difference in tone and sustain between the e string and A, D, G ? A, D, G are really fine ... full tone and very good sustain.
    But the e string ... when played open it's okay but when I play e.g. a G or G# on the e string the first thing I hear is a short more or less dull tone and a split
    of a second later the tone tries to develop sustain and full tone - sorry I can't describe it better.
    Also I'm hearing a silent noise when playing those notes (and open string), similar to a truss rod rattle but it comes primarly from the bridge. When pressing with a finger
    hardly on the saddle of the e string this noise disappears.

I'm wondering If someone can give me advice how to fix that ...

Thanks a lot ...

Thomas

p.s. : I Use Pyramid Strings 040-126 on this bass and all I'm talking about is noticible when just hearing the unplugged instrument - no amp involved.
  2. bzmnt

bzmnt

You should check the bridge very carefully, any loose screws that rattle? Is the string holder piece (or whatever it is called) okay and the saddle too? Is the string height reasonably similar to the other strings? Are the frets okay at the first frets? Are the frets even and smooth, are there any dings that damp the fretted note?

You should also check that the neck relief is adequate.

The string sustain and tone are different between open and fretted notes of course so they never sound exactly similar.

And last but not least, you should check the bass played through an amp in a band situation, does this really affect the tone or the playability? If it does, you should take care of it and see where the problem is. But I've also noticed from personal experience that one can be a bit too neurotic with a new instrument and things that really don't matter in real life situations seem to grow to intolerable imperfections :)
  3. BassTommy

BassTommy

thx for your reply ...

well ... fretted notes on the e string have difference in tone and sustain compared to fretted notes played on A,D,G. Also, fretted notes on the e string are not as clear and loud as fretted notes on A,D or G. This is noticible when playing via amp/headphones as well.

I've already played around with dirrerent string heights, neck relief etc. all setup so no fretbuzz comes out of the amp etc. ...

it seems that the more straight the neck is ,the better gets the sound but it doesn't go away entirly and it effects still cut through in live situation

regards
    basstommy
  4. eukatheude

eukatheude

Does this only happen when you're playing through an amp/phones or also acoustically?
  5. BassTommy

BassTommy

... it is noticeable via amp/phones and acustically plugged off ...