1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

IT Help – How to Set Up an After Hours Voice Message on a Telephone System

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by whoatherechunk, Feb 26, 2014.

1. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

Hey guys, I work for a business and they’re looking to implement an after hours message on the telephone when we’re not operating. E.G: “Thank you for calling…… we are open from……”. We do not need to have a voice mail system nor do we want messages to be left. We essentially just want what an old school tape voice recorder would do and just leave a message for customers when they call instead of having the phone ring off the hook. I’ve called Radioshack and other places but since we have about 6 lines it seems it wouldn’t work. All 6 lines are funneled into one business work phone number if that makes any sense. I’m not sure if I’m talking to the wrong people and I have been given misinformation. The current phone service is AT&T and I am unsure as to what service they may offer but they always seem to gouge away. Do you guys have any experience or info on this?
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I've set these up before as part of a telecom solution for businesses. It required some hardware and software. There is a chance AT&T offers this service via some kind of 'cloud', so it may be worth a call to them.

-Mike
  3. whoatherechunk

Thanks,

It just seems odd that it's so complicated considering it was done in the past with such a simple little voice message tape recorder.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

You can still buy that hardware. There are plenty of places online that sell used telecom equipment. Someone will have that device you are looking for.

-Mike
  5. whoatherechunk

Gonna bump it up to see if there are any other opinions.
  6. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

It depends on a lot of things. Do you have standard POTS lines? That is straight dial tone. Or do you have VOIP. If you have VOIP you probably already have voicemail.
    If you have standard POTS lines you probably have a hunt group that starts with the main phone number. All calls will come in on that number unless it is busy.How many calls are you expecting at night? If it is just a few then you can hook the answering machine up to the main line. There is always a chance that a second call will come in and the answering machine will miss that. Still it is an improvement over what you have now. Make sure you set up the answering machine with a short message and that it answers with as few rings as possible. That will increase the chance of getting all calls. You will also need to remember to turn the machine on at night before you leave. Make sure the machine is password protected.
    If you are expecting a lot of calls at night this won't work.
  7. whoatherechunk

Great info Slobake. Thanks.