It showed up pretty banged up.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Schpector, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Schpector

Schpector

I recently ordered a Squire Affinity PJ series because, after watching several videos, I really like what the Affinity series has become - the tone is great for the price, especially from the PJ model.

Also, I must admit, a bit of nostalgia factored in: when I was 16, my first bass ever was a candy apple red PJ.

I have no problem playing a Squire. I believe the painter and his work are what matter. The brand of the brush is trivial.

Anyway, the bass sat on backorder for two weeks before it shipped. I am a patient man - that is fine. Unfortunately, when I got home from work and unboxed it yesterday, I was very disappointed. The bass was what I would classify as severely damaged.

Both volume knobs were jammed into the body of the guitar. The pickguard was pretty much shattered, with multiple cracks all the way from the input jack to the pickups. The tone knob had been broken off. I had to search through the packaging to find the tone knob, which had ended up in the bottom of the box.

One thing that concerns me is that I think this may have happened during packing. You would expect cracks and jammed knobs to be shipping damage, but he box itself shows very little wear. Regardless, MF is sending another with 2 day air so I can use it at our show Thursday.

It's not a big deal. I have much nicer name brand basses (Warwick, G&L, etc.) that I could use at the show. I am a laid back guy, so I don't get stressed out about these things. But I have to wonder...

Is this common at this price level? Do sub $200 instruments even get inspected? The packing was just sad. One cardboard box and the bass was wrapped in a thin layer of foam and tape.

Also, if the second one shows up busted, would any of you even bother ordering a third?

2. Doctor_K

Doctor_K

I just bought one of those on impulse while in GC for something else. You are going to like it.....best $180 bass I EVER bought.

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I highly doubt it happened during the packing, I'm sure it happened during shipping. Especially with little packing inside.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I just bought a Martin and there was no packing in the box and the case was free to rattle around?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Yes this happens when instruments are shipped without a hard case. Shock can transfer nicely through a box. Welcome to the perils of ordering delicate things from afar. Now enjoy the convenience of MF's satisfaction guarantee. Hope the second one gets to you safely.

7. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

I've owned 6 Squiers, all from new, and not one had any form of damage when they got to me. Unfortunately, I'd say what you had was an anomaly, and certainly not the general expectation of any value instrument.

I think aphexafx has explained it quite well, it's just a fluke accident really.

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

THIS^

I've got a Squier bass and it's terrific. Even though there are people who tell me that playing a Squier means you aren't "serious" about music, I pay no attention.

As for things that happen in shipping, let me say that I've had a few but that MF REALLY impressed me with the way they dealt with the situations and bent over backwards to make me happy. I'm confident you'll end up very pleased.

9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Bummer it showed up damaged, these things happen. MF will make it right:) I have a pretty nice vintage collection but I have a Squire VM Precision that I leave at work. Great bass regardless of cost.

10. theretheyare

theretheyare

I got a bass form MF exactly packed like that a year ago. The reason it ddn't quite raise my eyebrows, it was a cheapo SUB Ray4 sold as dinged/damaged/returned at a hefty discount. (it had a chunck out of the back of the body which by the way allowed me to find out these bodies are made from something that reminded me most of the balsa wood that I made miniature airgliders out of as a kid. or as Sterling says : "We start with a solid hardwood body. Light, airy bodies full of tone" :p)

Anyway-
    Out of the box it came the exact same way you describe: loosely roaming around by itself inside a card box box with some tissuepaper-thin foam taped around it

Funny thing, it plays perfect. A great playing and sounding bass for all of $180.

11. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

squier, fender, dean, martin, schecter, warwick, gibson, epiphone, I've seen them all come thru this warehouse packaged just as you described. very few get beat up on the way thru tho.