1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

It turns out that we DO listen with our eyes...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Timmah, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Timmah

Timmah

...and not just to what kind of bass is on stage.
    Visual signals impact what we hear, which is why it's harder to hear over the phone or some of you older TB members can't hear the TV without your glasses. ;)
    It's called the McGurk effect. It's interesting that it applies more to speech than to music, but it's cool nevertheless.
    http://auditoryneuroscience.com/McGurkEffect
    Posting this from my Linguistics lecture because I think it's that cool.
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

The way the senses interact is fascinating. Like how if you blindfold someone, put a cut apple up to their nose, and have them take a bite of a raw potato, they'd think it's an apple, apparently.
  3. Timmah

Timmah

Hmm, sounds like an excellent roomate experiment...
  4. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    OK, so let me get this straight. I gotta go blind someone, shove an apple up their nose and now they'll think the potato is their parent? Works for me.
  5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

McGurk ? isnt that a pickle ?
  6. OldDog52

OldDog52

I can scratch "Being McGurk'd" off my bucket list now.
  7. BassMom88

BassMom88

That is cool Timmah! David Eagleman Richard Cytowic, Oliver Sacks, and Daniel Levitan are some authors/researchers you might want to check out who have done work in sensory perception - the latter two with music in particular.
  8. Turxile

Turxile

It seems we also smell with our eyes.. I was watching a chocolate commercial last night and I smelled chocolate ;P