It was bound to happen...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jeremy Darrow, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    About five minutes ago, I was playing my bass while my kids were in another room, playing. My twenty month old daughter came into my office, with a small book in her hand. The next thing I know, that little book was disappearing into my F-hole. She smiled at me, ran out of the room and came back with another, much bigger, book. Good times!
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Isn't that a fun age? My daughter used to put loose change and CDs in my bass.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    I hear you. I fished more little green army men out of my old bass than I care to think about. Good times indeed.
  4. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

At least it wasn't a PB&J sandwich!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    At least you have a daughter! My daughters are great. 2 and 5 years at the moment. so far they haven't damaged anything, and the bass sits in a corner of the living room! A little two year old boy comes over, however, and all bets are off. He especially loves to push in the centers of the speaker cones. My hand built desktops still sound ok, I guess, but they look like hell.
  7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

No, that was the VCR. It must have looked hungry.
  8. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

It's a lot cuter when it's kids. I may or may not have been part of a bored bass section that tried to get pencils into each other's basses when someone was day dreaming in a rehearsal. The turn-it-upside-down-and-shake method is a whole lot easier with a guitar that has a much bigger hole in it, or a cello that isn't so heavy.
  9. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar

I heard this story first-hand from Harry Sturm, a member of the old 1940s -50s NBC radio orchestra in Chicago:

The bassist in the orch. (Johnny Frigo, maybe?) kept his bass at the studio, and he was apparently a bit of a hypochondriac. As a practical joke, each day before the bassist arrived, someone (probably Harry) would dump a cup of sand into the bass's f-hole, making it progressively heavier as the weeks went on.

Then, they would play mercilessly on the guy's hypochondria. "Gosh, you're really struggling with that bass today. Just a week ago, you had no problem carrying it." "Maybe you should rest a little bit. Have you considered seeing a doctor?" The guy was finally convinced that he was at death's door when they let him in on the joke.

Cruel, maybe, but you gotta admit, it takes a lot of patience and dedication to carry a joke through like that.
  10. bassteban

bassteban

At *twenty months* I was bracing for a repair story/warning w/child proofing content...
    :D
  11. 1st Bass

1st Bass

Gives me wistful thoughts and memories. My only daughter is 28 now. I miss those days of impish innocent childish fun.
  12. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    Little boys break stuff. Every time the little guys next door come to play, they break something. Usually within ten minutes.
  13. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

I've heard this story before, but the version I was told involved Stuart Sankey and his students at Aspen in the 60's.
  14. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

I think that story also appears in Bill Crow's "Jazz Anecdotes" book. Good stuff.
  15. 360guy

360guy

But did the bass sound better with the sand in it??? And if so, was it course or fine??? How much should I add to mine??? And where can I buy it online???

Happy Holidays, Gang!