Italia Mondial II Woody?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Dec 9, 2013.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Anyone own or played one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Italia-Mondial-Woody-4-string-Guitar/dp/B001R2NXFO

I'm curious but I can't find very much info on them, or any reviews. I'm sort of GASing for a hollow or semi-hollow 34" bass with a wider-than-a-Jazz-bass nut, and this fits the bill. Plus I like the piezo option.

Experiences with this bass? Thoughts? Thanks! :bassist:

2. TimBosby

Open to other suggestions too. The Jack Casady Epiphone comes to mind but I've heard their bridges are prone to coming out and I definitely DON'T want that.

3. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Tim,

I pulled the trigger to satisfy GAS on this one a few years ago, and sold it within a few months. Here are my observations: Weight - all maple construction was Heavy, not what you might want to have in a semi-hollow body. Humbucker - really nice warm and punchy pickup. Piezo pickup - I could not find any capability of finding a useable tone from the piezo, and if I recall, I couldn't blend the piezo with the humbucker to make any advantage of the two pickup system. Bridge - Fiddled with the guillotine bridge a bit, but I was never able to arrive at low action on this bass. Fit and finish - really gorgeous - makes nice wall art LOL.
    Someday I will also resume looking for a hollowbody too, but I don't have a need for one right now.

4. TimBosby

Wall art...lol.

Thanks, that is really helpful!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RS

RS Supporting Member

I had one once. Heavy, kinda junky. Only one or so useable tones.

7. woodyng

woodyng

I had an Italia Rimini bass,which was hollow body,and was a great,well made bass. However,i didn't like the jumbo size frets on it,and traded it to the guy who works on my guitars. Every time i go over there now,i pick it up and play it. It's a great-sounding bass,as long as you don't mind the humongous frets.

8. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Well, it aint 34" scale for starters.

Some don't mind those wooden bridges, but I avoid them like measles. Too fiddly, rife with intonation issues.

Haven't owned an Italia bass, but my gut tells me $750 is way too much for one.

To each his own, I'm sure it's the perfect bass for some one.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

It has to be an improvement over the original Mondial, which is hands-down the most boneheaded structural design in the history of electric bass. It's just amazing.

The reason you don't see any is because they self-destruct, and they would have even if they hadn't had garbage build and materials, which they did. I have one here someone offloaded on me years ago just before it was due to explode.

By re-engineering the neck/body connection I could save it, but it so disgusts me that I haven't bothered. It's disassembled and scattered around here in pieces to this day.

10. TimBosby

Now I kinda want a Lakland Skyline hollowbody, or better yes a Gibson Midtown (prefer the 2014 version with trapezoid inlays.)
    No way can I justify $1000-$1600, though. Or even over $600. Lol

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

The thing in the OP is grossly overpriced as listed.

12. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

look into DIPINTO belvedere... the deluxe is what i have GREAT tone and GREAT BASS

13. TimBosby

Hmm. Maybe only the Mondial Standard is 34"

Anyway, I'll probably pass on this one.