Itchin for a change...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by casotti1, Feb 21, 2014.

1. casotti1

casotti1 Supporting Member

I play an XL2 and although it is not for sale because I love it, I am looking to try something else in addition, but similar only in tone. I primarily play reggae and looking for a 4 string. I'm not looking for a Fender or Warwick, even though they sound good, but something in the 1400-1600 range. Was thinking Alembic's Epic, Spoiler or Essence...anything else? Would love to hear some feedback!

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

What about Spector basses?

3. casotti1

I have eyed a few Euro 4s that look very nice and I am sure sound good but not too much experience with them.

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

While I will always whole-heartedly recommend an Alembic, are you specifically interested in a graphite necked bass (to be similar to your XL-2)? If so, you might look for a used Modulus.

Bones

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. casotti1

Bones
    I actually have played modulus in the past and no the graphite neck is not must. I see good deals on the epics and essence basses. They look sweet and wonder if they sound as good as they look

7. alembicbones

alembicbones

If you end up going the Alembic route, I would recommend an Essence over an Epic. The standard Essence model has the low pass filter which is at the heart of the Alembic electronics package. Standard Epics have bass and treble eqs only. Also, I prefer the look of the Essence. My first Alembic was a 5 string Essence and it was a great bass.

Best of Luck in your search.

Bones

8. casotti1

Thanks. My only concern is if the alembic can handle reggae.. As well as the xl2.

9. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I'd go for the Spoiler, out of the 3 you mentioned. I'm kinda partial to the medium scale.

An Alembic will get you the cleanest sub lows out there, at least that I know of. Heck yeah they're good for reggae.

10. casotti1

Interesting feedback thanks!