1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Its absolutely killing me

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by boomboom4200, Dec 7, 2013.

1. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

So, the band is a cover band. Older classic rock.

I have become very close to these people, like family.I have been with them about a year.

The song choices are gettin really bad, very lounge act -ish. But its not so much that as the quality of the music, adding new songs and just getting the bones down and imediatly performing them infront of people (very badly)

I have said on more than one occasion that it is embarrassing to perform these songs as they are.They blow it off and just say we aren't pros and this is just for fun, but bars are paying us decent money to play, (not for long im sure) , how is it that I am the only one out of five people that hears how horrible we sound? And I am sooo torn on just walking, I love these cat's and just wanna make better music.what would y'all do
  2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Do you have any recordings for us to hear?
  3. 10cc

10cc

Remember your in a cover band and if you are not having then stop
  4. Radio Face

Radio Face

As long as your band draws in customers, bar owners don't care how bad your band sounds.
  5. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Well, it sounds like there isn't really much you can do, other than "do it" or "quit". If it was really decent money and it didn't totally suck, I'd probably just do it just for the money. If the money wasn't really good or the music/band totally sucked, I wouldn't do it.
  6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Nothing worse to me than getting up in front of an audience and performing badly like you are describing. I would talk to them about this and say that if the act doesnt get cleaned up you are going to skate.
  7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I know what you are saying. Sometimes I am my own worse enemy as I am so picky and hear every little problem on stage. But there have been times when we video a gig and I watch the playback a few days later and the performance was a lot better than I remembered.
    That's why I asked if OP had any recordings. Just sayin.
  8. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Is this your first cover band? Trust me. Get out now. Be nice about it, finish out your gigs or whatever, but get out. Now. I've been there and it sucks. You joined them, and they're happy, so you have no leverage at all, really no right to push them where they don't want to - or probably can't - go. This will NOT GET BETTER. Someday you'll look back and say "how did I tolerate it for so long." Getting in a better band will make you forget these "cats" faster than a drunk forgets his last bender. You'll be so happy you'll cry. Trust me. Get out now.

Get. Out. Now.

:D
  9. HomesickBob

HomesickBob Do da Boogie! ;-) Supporting Member

All easy dude: Take it or leave it.
    It's :p or :bawl:... yours to chose!
  10. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I know you always want to sound great. But usually playing covers in most situations is just not that critical. I also tend to be over-critical about the way my band sounds. I always think it should sound better. But I have found that if I am solid with my part and the drummer is anywhere close, then the rest of the band can pretty much take a dump on stage and the crowd will never notice. That's just the way it is.

Try not to stress and just do your best, lead by example. Then hopefully the others will improve their game too. But I totally understand if you must walk away to save your sanity. I have purposely not invited friends to hear certain projects because I knew it would be atrocious. But then total strangers will compliment the band after the gig. Most people don't have descriminating ears, thankfully, so you can get away with a lot of clams, tuning issues, timing problems, and arrangement glitches. So just try to enjoy the good stuff and let the lesser stuff roll off your back.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  11. bassteban

bassteban

My barometer: Wake up the day of a gig/practice/rehearsal, remember said gig/etc and check mood/tude... If good, stay. If bad, gotta go. Do you look fwd to playing w/these guys? If not, will it get better?
  12. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

If my band plays a song and says "that's good enough" , I better be looking at a paycheck and saying to myself "that's good enough." If not , we will soon be parting ways.
  13. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

I was in a similar situation in a band once.
    I was the only one who thought we didn't sound good but they simply couldn't hear it.
    some people cannot hear how bad they are -ignorance is bliss to some but not to you.
    move on
  14. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Drink a lot of liquor.
    Lower your standards.
    Everything will be fine.
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Yeah, you probably need to exit.

If you really feel like they need rescuing from themselves, how is the rhythm guitar doing? They are the 2nd most intent listeners after bassists, you might find an ally there, you need at lest one. Put a moratorium on new material and use rehearsals productively.
  16. richntiff

richntiff

You owe it to yourself and your audience to sound as good as you can. Anything else is well, lame. I don't buy the 'audience cant tell the difference' thing -that's a copout. If the rest of them don't have your same standards then you have a decision to make.
  17. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

I've had strangers compliment us when I was in a lame band also. They usually needed help standing. :p
  18. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

Artistic aspirations aside, THIS is what matters most on a commercial level. If the crowd is entertained this time, set your sights on getting it perfect for next time.

But the biggest problem for ANY band is expanding the repertoire.
  19. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Fire the guitar player.
  20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

^^^That there.^^^