It's been snowing in Moffat, Scotland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wraithwrider, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

And Alan of ACG fame (or notoriety :) ) is in fine form.

Well, I have my headless Salace 5. A bass with a special connection that's going no-where. I do play her but wouldn't gig her. Out of home I'm exclusively using my ACG J5 but truth be known I would like to be exclusively using a 'full fat' Custom ACG. Not that the J isn't a great bass but .....

So off I trotted to Moffat this Morning (it's less than 2 hrs away) with ideas in my head. Ideas that are generated by my 1990 NT Warwick Thumb in terms of woods, a dark and stiff one, and by the new developments at Cringeon Towers. I had Moth like pretensions but practical realities moved me in another direction.

After going through the permutations I'm going for:

Finn 5 string, double cut, headed with 18mm string spacing.
    Set 7 piece neck of wenge and bubinga, wenge outside.
    Body a bubinga/wenge/bubinga sandwich.
    34" scale with a wenge fretboard, bubinga headstock facing
    Black hardware, ACG03 pre-amp and a 10 coil ACG MC5 pickup at the bridge with a same sized humbucker at the neck (allowing an upgrade to two MC5's later if so desired - I suspect it will be).
    Luminay and a low battery light on the front.

The bass will be no lightweight but I'm fine with that. It will also be waxed like a Warwick.
    Something tells me that it will be a monster :)

I really think that the ACG03 has developed very well from the original ACG01. The mid boosts are 'intelligent' and in two global ranges with selectable frequencies for each. Very well thought out and implemented.

The bubinga for the front has a lovely patterned finish while the rear will be slightly plainer to emphasise the front.

What more can I say other than that seeing Alan all these years down the line and speccing my 4th custom ACG is as much a pleasure as ever.

Pedro

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Nice spec.

I know firsthand how great Alan's work is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still not 100% comfortable playing a six string again but I thought enough of the quality of my ACG that I ordered another. Like yours it'll be a Finn 5 (singlecut for me) with the MC5 pickups and the amazing EQ03.

More people need to check out what Alan is doing.

Your bass definitely won't be a lightweight, but it will absolutely be a tone monster. Great spec. Now just try to have the patience to wait for it to be done!

3. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

That is a beauty Jared. Your Finn will be awesome, 2 MC5's?

4. Jared Lash

Yep, two MC5s.

Here's my next one in its embryonic state:
    http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/335/

I have to not visit Alan's site too often or I start thinking about a matching fretless, or a Graft J-type with a P pickup and P-retro or other fantastic creations.

Can't wait to see yours take shape!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

If I can gather together the extra money I might re-spec mine to 2 MC5's too. We'll see. I can always do it later. I'll be interested to see how yours work out Jared :)

7. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Is there enough snow for snowboarding ?

8. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Probably not, yet :)

9. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

I've since re-spec'd the bass to have 2 MC5 10 coil pickups.

10. eude

eude

Knew you'd come round in the end... ;)

11. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I looked at the website (some stunning work there)

Regarding the MC5 pickup, is that a Delano?

The part I'm confused about is "10 Coil" - are there seperate coils for each string (x2)?

12. Jared Lash

All of Alan's pickups are custom wound for his basses by Alan Armstrong (Kent's son) and from my experience they are fantastic.

The multicoil (MC) pickups are built like Wal pickups with 2 coils per string. I believe the two coils in each string are wired in series and each string wired in parallel with its neighbors.

The result is this dark and thick, yet clear tone with some real kick in the low mids.

13. SolarMan

Wow, thanks -

I have a pickup that is built this way (1 mono-pole humbucker [2 coils] per string wired in parallel) and indeed it does sound deep and rich.

I didn't know that anyone else was doing this! Superb!

14. Jared Lash

Yeah, Alan is doing some amazing work. More people need to check out ACG basses.

I'm interested in hearing more about your pickup. Who built it and what bass is it being used in?

15. SolarMan

Mine is a Malinoski -
    http://www.petermalinoskiart.com/info_pages/page_about_guitars.htm

Scroll down below the guitars for sale and he shows his handmade pickups. It's the "Type 1"

- Does anyone have a photo of the ACG "Grunge Black" finish? Sounds interesting.

16. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

The MC5 pickups also require their own circuit board and I believe that these will be mounted underneath the pickup. They require juice to operate so there will be no passive option. I'm getting a low battery level LED option installed.

This will be my 4th ACG build. My first was a 5 String and I decided I was more at home with 4 so sold it. I then had a 4 string built and started playing 5s again.

I now have a Salace headless 5 and a J5 that I bought ready made.

I also owned a off the shelf Graft 5 for a while.

Alan's build quality is as good as it gets. His service in terms of aiming to please while being up front with what will and won't work is tops. Innovation wise he's up there with the best and he works with John East on his filter pre-amps and Aaron Armstrong for pickups.

I've never come across better fretwork than Alan's.

Peter
    http://www.acguitars.co.uk/gfxs/gallery/img_2223.jpg
    http://www.acguitars.co.uk/gfxs/gallery/img_3453.jpg
    http://www.acguitars.co.uk/gfxs/gallery/img_5766.jpg
    http://www.acguitars.co.uk/gfxs/gallery/img_5874.jpg

17. Jared Lash

Wow, really cool pickups and some unique designs too.

Here's an ACG with the grunge black finish:
    [​IMG]

+1 regarding Alan's skills, innovative basses and customer service. I'm a big fan of his work. Really nice collection of ACGs you've got going. I wished I had the funds for that black J-Type and your Salace is flat out gorgeous.

18. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

That's my friend Mike's P bass unless I'm much mistaken :)

19. Jared Lash

Nice.

I'd love to check out an ACG Graft P or P/J one of these days. My current ACG and my upcoming one will have decidedly modern tone profiles. Would be very cool to have one that gets a classic Fender sound as well.

20. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

It is and it does! (Cool to have one, and gets a classic Fender sound, that is.) It's in my arms as I type.

Wraithrider - as proud of owner of the above-mentioned Graft P/J, I can give a definite thumbs-up to the double-cut Finn 5 in 34" with 18mm spacing. :)

Obviously yours is going to sound very different, with such different electronics (not to mention the woods) so I can't comment on that. But from a comfort and playability aspect it's going to be fantastic. The Finn body is really sleek, with that small lower horn, but it's perfectly balanced. The 18mm spacing is just the right balance between the 19mm I was used to and the slimmer neck that makes the left hand so comfortable.

21. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

My modern looking Salace headless has a P and an MM pup hiding beneath that bloodwood cover :)