It's getting harder to rent from Redbox

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Nov 5, 2012.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

My last 3 rentals from Redbox have been scams. Here is the one from today. The one before that was the sticky label from the inside ring of the disc stuck to a blank DVD R for another video game. The one before that was also a photocopy or a scam and that was a movie, the Avengers...

I don't know if I'm gonna give up but its been very frustrating, and having to call to get credited, not to mention the massive waste of time...

[​IMG]
  2. hover

hover

Wow, that's really low. At least, I hope, they retained the previous renter's info...so they can recoup the cost of their disc while refunding your money...
  3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Might be time to start avoiding certain locations.
  4. tastybasslines

That's just it...they can't. If someone rents a legitimate disc and returns it this way, it is registered as a return. There are no red flags yet. So lets say I come along and am the next one to rent...It could have been me who did it and they have no way to prove it is the previous renter. And to stop this, they would have to change their entire inventory system and probably the hardware inside the machine as well I'm guessing. Some anti fraud reader? Dunno, but seems very hard to stop.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

The last 3 were 3 different locations.
  7. nutso42

nutso42

I recently disavowed Netflix after all the stupidity they put us through, and switched to Redbox.

Recently, I've been considering giving them up too.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have never had this happen, and I have rented tons of movies through Redbox. I have had a couple movies so scratched up that they were unreadable.
  9. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

The crap, man! That's just some incredibly juvenile d-baggery right there. It's a freakin dollar! Blockbuster it is, then...
  10. tastybasslines

The xbox games cost $60 new.
  11. tplyons

tplyons

Ridiculous, but I haven't seen that yet!
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Along comes the morons and idiots to ruin a good thing for everyone else. Bring back Hollywood Video!!! :D

-Mike
  13. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I am really digging Netflix still.

lowsound
  14. DigMe

DigMe

I mostly stream rentals online these days from Amazon, etc..

bc
  15. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Me neither.. I guess the thing to do is check it at the store.
  16. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Of course they can; problem is they don't (going by what you posted). If that's the case, that is a ridiculous business model. When I sense ridiculousness, I go elsewhere.
  17. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

And we don't even have the selection of those Americans complaining :p !
  18. hover

hover

Me as well.
  19. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Still happy with netflix.......but......Just recently I had bought a bluray disc player so swithced my account to recieve bluray discs..I totally see the difference in pic quality rented the huinger games on both reg dvd and bluray. One thing I have noticed though and it has happen a few times is when watching a br disc Hunger games for example when an exciting part is coming up it starts skipping and messing up it has happen with breaking bad and game of thorones and it only seems to happen when a keep your eyes glued to the screen scene is about to happen. It does not happen on every disc but just seems kinda bizzare that it happens on a cant miss part. I noticed the br discs seem to be alot thinner so mabey other customers are rewatching those certain scenes and wearing that part of the disc out. thoughts?
  20. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Its just a coincidence. And annoying.
  21. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

No, there's no contact with the disc as it plays. The only way any optical disc gets "worn out" is when the disc gets scratched.

They're weird about scratches - a nasty one running radially (from the center of the disc out to an edge) may have no effect, but a mild looking one running along the circumference can cause real issues.