It's in the details...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Feb 17, 2014.

1. tplyons

tplyons

I'm always told that I'm well put together... people mention that "it's in the details" like polished shoes, etc.

Where do you take pride in the little things?

There's nothing like an evening in front of the TV watching a James Bond movie, sipping Scotch and shining shoes. Whattya think?

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

There is a time for well-polished shoes, and a time for ripped and stained Chucks.

3. tplyons

tplyons

This is true... I still rock my Adidas shell-tops when the situation calls for it. Nobody wants to see a dude riding his Harley in polished boots.

4. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Well polished shoes are good to have. IMO, every outfit starts with the shoes. You can take the same outfit and put on two very different pairs of shoes and have two very different outfits.

You are correct, it is the little things. Such as cut of the butt of your pants, your socks, watch, tie tied with the neat knot and the proper length (it always bugs me when someone's tie is wrong, which is most of the time).

lowsound

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

For my entire adult life (and even a bit before), I've understood the importance of good grooming, neatness and cleanliness.

This can be expressed with well tailored clothing and fancy haircuts as well as ripped jeans, sneakers, untrimmed hair and facial stubble.

What really sells is the confident attitude behind it.

7. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I'm pretty much the only person that wears a suit and tie every day to work (business casual dress code), keep myself well groomed (even with long hair), stand up straight, don't slouch when I sit etc. Small things like a tie bar, lapel pin really set it off. So, yes, I agree OP :)

8. tplyons

tplyons

I'm in a casual work environment (business casual is pretty much dressed up for us) but I usually err on the side of business casual.

I even created Tuesday Tie-Day for all those schmucks at the office that don't utilize their tie collection other than weddings and funerals. Allows us to get some more use out of them.

And I'm a firm believer in the tie bar!

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I'm astounded at how many men who wear ties on a daily basis can't wear a tie well. The tip of the tie should touch your belt line. And if you're wearing a spread collar, that sloppily tied four-in-hand probably isn't gonna cut it. Don't get me started on the number of badly fitting suits I see.

I also like polished shoes, but that's a tall order to keep constant during the winters in the North East of the U.S.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Unfortunately you won't find me wearing wingtips this time of year... not only is cleaning the salt out of the broguing is a pain in the butt, but those leather soles provide almost NO traction on ice.

I stick with my Bostonian loafers in the winter... salt cleans right off and soft rubber soles grip pretty well.

11. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

I'm a firm believer in the four-in-hand for all occasions, you just need a thicker tie for a more substantial knot.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I have a pair of brogues that I don't wear much in the winter, but I did pull them out for a gig the other week. I'm looking forward to spring so I can pull out the boat shoes again.

Variety is the spice of life for me. I always like to mix up my knot depending on mood, shirt, and situation. I've even been known to rock the Atlantic knot (although I'd never wear it to, say, a job interview).

13. Milk

Milk

I'm not a suit person. I don't think i've ever worn polished shoes and i never ever wear dress pants. That doesn't mean i cant dress though. It's not just my style.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I take pride in my ironing skills. Getting the crease lines on my slacks crisp and sharp as well as getting the crease lines on my shirt sleeves straight and lined up properly.

-Mike

15. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I've had this girl tell me she thought I was gay last week because I dress well.

16. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

I take pride with my clothing.

I almost always have a smart casual outfit. Nothing too fancy, a nice trousers or nice blue jeans that can handle a fine jacket. Inside, single color shirt. My shirts never have two or more colors, shapes on them, not a single stripe and always have some dark color.

I also take pride with my accessories. I wear leather bracelets and a silver ring that I can pull off with that outfit. I can still have some of my "bad boy" attitude/looks with a fine outfit.;)

Also I got compliments on how good I spoke from different people. One of those people was an actress in a theater, I take pride in that too.:D

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    Which Scotch Whiskey are you partaking in, Mr. Timothy?

18. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I usually check to make sure my fly is properly zipped or buttoned after leaving the toilet.

19. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

a compliment in the highest degree.

I like to dress well and I like people who dress well. show's you care about yourself. I loathe when people go out in public in pajama pants, my wife used to be one of them, now she sides with me.

20. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

You lost me at "shining shoes." :D