1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

It's the most exciting time of the year!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by advertisement, Aug 24, 2013.

1. advertisement

advertisement

It's time for me to purchase a new bass cabinet, and I'm turning to the greater community for assistance. I know there's heaps of threads on here discussing the pros and cons of the various speaker setups however they generally end up with comments like "well it depends what OP is looking for in his sound, go out and try as much as you can" etc... which I fully appreciate. My issue is that I'm in a remote area and I can't just go to the nearest music shop and try out the various combinations I'm looking for.

I play ska music and try to write quite fun poppy moving bass lines. I got muscled a while back from guitar to the bass and have self-taught myself everything I know, which I admit isn't a hell of a lot.
    I play with a pick (apologies to the purists) and the head I use is 300w all tube, ridiculously loud, I like to go for a punchy and warm sound and that's probably the best I can describe it, haha.

After doing my research, reading reviews, youtubing, so on and so forth I'm kind of tossing up between a 2x15 (Trace Elliot 1528, I think it's called) and a 6x10 (Likely a Fender Bassman Neo). Although Trace Elliot do a 2x10 + 1x15 which sounds intriguing to me, they seem hard to track down however. The previous amps are within my price range and statistically fit the bill of what I need. I don't want anything too big, mainly due to the type of gigs my band plays (house parties through to medium size pub/clubs) and the limited space in my ute (pickup truck), or too heavy because I get zero assistance from the rest of the band, and I gig a LOT.

As I said, my experience is admittedly limited and as such I'm not aware of the nuances of the various speaker setups, i.e the pitfalls of a 2x15 in an open venue without PA support etc. Just hoping for a quick crash course in do’s and do not’s and maybe some recommendations from the wealth of knowledge here. Cheers in advance!

2. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Still too many variables here to be able to make intelligent suggestions.

What is your budget?

What is your comfort level in terms of weight? You mentioned Trace cabs. I ran a full Trace stack in the 90's and they are hella heavy.

I am unsure to which limitations you are referring in terms of 2x15 cabs. I run a 2x15 cab full time, with and without mic FoH and the only limitation I have identified thus far is the idiot playing the bass (me!).

Cobbling together speakers of different sizes is not generally recommended for a variety of reasons. Instead of taking the TB stand and imply that this is a 3rd degree sonic felony, I'll just say that I ran mixed cabs back in the day. While it was OK, I ran in to more than one venue where phasing issues caused me nightmares.

if you really want to be happy with your sound, I would start looking at custom cabinet builders. I happen to bleed Greenboy, but there are number of small companies building cabinets far superior to 90% of the junk being pedaled by gear manufacturers. You can dial in builds for a voice, sound, tone that speaks to you. The cabinets are almost always far lighter, built in to a smaller footprint, eat way more watts, and perform with stunning clarity, allowing you to dial in as much or little hair/warmth/wool as you like.

In the end, when it comes to cabs, it has been my experience that you get what you for.

3. advertisement

advertisement

My budget is about $1300 Australian. That'd be $1100US or so depending on the exchange rate. Weight isn't so much of an issue as long as the cab doesn't turn into a 2 man effort. I'd be comfortable lifting 40kg max, I'm not the biggest dude.
    I have looked into custom cabs, there's a bloke out of Sydney who builds to spec however I'm apprehensive because I cant find out much about his build quality when it comes to bass.
    My question was more about the characteristics of various cab styles, i.e. I've read that 610s are superior to 215s as far as actually filling a room with sound per se.

4. Foz

Foz

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Most exciting time of the year? Here I thought it was time for a new Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, and you're just talking about amps???

:D

7. advertisement

advertisement

I've read good things about these guys, however I'm going to go out on a limb and say the shipping would be ridiculous to get it to my front door. If I'm going custom it would have to be domestic.

As for the excitement factor Jimmy, right now the possibilities are endless! I have unlimited tonal options, until I decide on one and am met with the soul crushing realisation that I'm still a dodgy bass player.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

1= there is no "610 sound", or "215 sound", or any other generalizations that can be made based on size and number of spkrs.
    2=it's all about the design of the cabinet, as a whole, and the choice of drivers in that box.
    3=as always, the best way to find a cab that works for you, is to play through as many as possible, with your amp, and your bass. But, forget all the 15's are deep/10's are punchy/etc mythology that gets spread around continually- and go play some bass cabs, and have some fun.

9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    In general, several 215's and 610's are similair in general output and should be enough cab for any bass player.....and even saying that much is an over-generalization.

People say the new Fenders are good, I haven't heard one.

If there is a Greenboy builder in Oz, get a price on a Faital loaded 215.

Trace is solid cabs too.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

$1100? Heritage 810.

11. advertisement

advertisement

I guess this is what I wanted to find out. I was thinking there would be at least SOME conclusions that I could draw from a cabinet right off the bat. This makes the task all the more difficult however. ..

12. Foz

Foz

Right... in order to fit your budget, you gotta build a 66. :hyper: