It's there!! And I'm here...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NAVET, Jan 6, 2014.

1. NAVET

NAVET

My first bass, Satin Blue SUB RAY4, was just delivered and I'm stuck at work. No worries though as my wife was home to sign for it and keep it out of the weather. As soon as I can, I'll put up some pics.

My plan is to take it out of the packaging, give it an initial inspection, make sure everything works and then let it sit for a day or so to acclimate to my house before I start setting it up. Is a day (24 hours +/-) enough time to let it set and get used to the new environment or, since I have new strings as well, should I just put the new strings on, tune it and then let it adjust to the house? It's been in shipment for 4-5 days so I'm not real sure if immediate setup and re-string is the smart move or not.
  2. BassKnuckles

BassKnuckles Supporting Member

Eh, I don't want to give bad advice, but if it were me, I'd play with it all night (LOL) If you want to change the strings, (I'm assuming it came strung??) Do it before bed, then let it sit until you get home from work tomorrow, re-tune, then play with it all tomorrow night (double LOL)
  3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I'm sure he'll play it, he wants to know when it will be stable enough for a setup. I can't imagine it shifting much but a day or two shouldn't hurt. And grats!
  4. pfox14

pfox14

Yeah, a day or so sounds good. Especially if you live in a different climate from where it was shipped.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    For setup? It's hard to say without knowing what it's coming from and going to, though in any case it sat in the back of a cold vehicle for several hours. Personally, I'd start tweaking tonight even, with the expectation that I may need to tweak more as it acclimates.
  7. NAVET

NAVET

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has some interesting grain patterns in select spots. I tried to get some shots that would show it.

I couldn't wait to at the very least hear it sing. I hit a couple notes and within a few adjustments of the pots had it transmitting those wonderful tones I heard and fell in love with at GC.

My only complaint, and maybe it isn't one, is there was no type of user's manual or anything in the box. All I got was a truss rod adjustment tool and a hex key. Maybe that's all it comes with, I'm not sure.

On the upside, GC packed this thing like it was going around the world! My gig bag was on top of the Bass carton and that was packed in another box and there was enough paper packing around it to soften a grenade blast!
  8. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Love the trans-blue! And I have your user's manual here somewhere..let's see..Ah yes,it says "Plug in,Turn up,and ROCK OUT!!" :D
  9. verycoolname

verycoolname

Diggin' that color! I'm thinking of picking up one of these.
  10. NAVET

NAVET

I wasn't real sure about the color. The black or charcoal or whatever they are calling it this week, just didn't do it for me. I liked the blue a bit better so I took a chance and it paid off. I love the color!!:hyper:

As far as rocking out... Right now it sounds like strangled cats. New bass+no lessons=strangled cats. LOL

If anyone is on the fence about the RAY4 AND this color.. Don't be. It is an awesome color and the bass itself sounds awesome. I may wait to re-string it. Maybe... I bought Rotosound 55 strings to replace the ones it comes with.

Legal disclaimer: No cats were harmed in the writing of this post. :bag:
  11. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

That's why I had my bass get delivered to work. Ironically I have a satin black sub ray 4 being delivered tomorrow.
  12. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Pretty sure that even the SUB's come with EBMM Slinky strings, which IMO are pretty good strings. I wouldn't sweat changing them right out like I would an SX or similar.
  13. NAVET

NAVET

I went back and forth about replacing the originals with EB Slinkys or some other strings or even not at all. I went with Rotosound for no real reason other than what I read and heard online.

Like I said, I may hold off for a while and see what the originals sound like over the next few months. Who knows? I may like them enough to stick with them. This is my first bass after all. They may sound like garbage and I wouldn't know the difference! LOL!!!
  14. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Here's mine. Sounds awesome.

Attached Files:

• 157.jpg
      157.jpg
      File size:
      179.9 KB
      Views:
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

These Sub basses are flying off the shelves here. I guess it found that sweet spot between price and quality, most of the other bassists I personally know have plans or have gotten this bass already, it's just a matter of color preference more than anything.
    The Satin blue actually looks great (they didn't have one at GC near me, all sold out)- wasn't sure how the satin finish/glossy pickguard would look like- so I ordered the mint green. Us old folks seem to prefer the mint green one as it looks retro. :) Plays great, love these subs- I'll be getting a five string in the next couple of days.