1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I've got a few questions about pedals and whatnot (Noise Rock type stuff)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Crypt Ghast, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Crypt Ghast

Crypt Ghast

I'm looking to finally get some pedals soon. I currently have a Ditto Looper, but that's it. I really love Brian Gibson's bass tone (Lightning Bolt). Currently I'm in a band thats just me and drums and it's just noisy fun stuff, and the other band is shoegaze/noise rock. And I love to make loud and weird sounds too, so if anyone has some suggestions, that would be cool. I'm mainly looking for cheap pedals that do weird stuff.

The little list of pedals that I want to get so far is
    1. Way Huge Swollen Pickle
    2. Boss SD-1
    3. Boss OC-3
    4. Korg Pitchblack
    5. Line 6 DL-4
    6. some type of whammy?

I'll probably only get two pedals right now, and then save up for the rest. I'm not sure what to get first. I know a tuner pedal is really important, but we won't be playing shows for a few months at least so I'm not in a rush to get one.
    So I think I'll get the Boss SD-1 and then either the Swollen Pickle or the OC-3. I guess the OC-3 does more "stuff" because it does octave stuff and has a overdrive, whereas the Pickle only has a (FAT) fuzz.

Anyways...

Can I get one of those things that connects from one power supply to multiple other pedals and power the SD-1, OC-3 and Pickle all at the same time with just one power supply? I'm not really sure how that stuff works.
  2. ghostfather

ghostfather

Get a tuner first. I know it isn't a fun pedal but really, get a tuner.

And try a Joyo Ultimate Drive - with the gain up it really works as a distortion pedal. If you are looking for crazy dirty bass sounds, this will do it for thirty bones.
  3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

TUNER!! Always!!

past that, check out the Fuzzrocious Rat Tail!!
  4. arjune

arjune

If you have a hand tuner, that should do the job for a little while. You can also usually get tuner pedals pretty cheap on Craigslist and eBay. I would definitely get a fuzz first, then a fun pedal also to play around with. A whammy or a delay. You can get some good tones and have fun on a budget with just those two pedals.

A Swollen Pickle and a DL-4 would be fun and actually useful for a long time!
  5. Crypt Ghast

Crypt Ghast

The Rat King looks really amazing, so I'll look into that when I have more money. The only thing is ordering things online isn't too easy for me.
  6. shenanigans

shenanigans

I am always at a loss when people recommend a tuner when there is a perfectly good multi, with a built in tuner, that is the same price and size of most tuners and will do an excellent job of introducing a bassist to effects.

Zoom MS-60b.
  7. Precision345

Precision345 Supporting Member

Big muff pi is always a good standby for fuzz/dirt sounds.
  8. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 this is a great inexpensive pedal that can give you some great straight tones as well as some really weird stuff I love mine.
  9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I'd start with the Korg Pitchblack for sure.

Tip: For your weird/trippy stuff needs - add a chorus and flanger.
  10. Crypt Ghast

Crypt Ghast

A Boss ODB-3 looks like it could be good as well... too many choices!
  11. IncX

IncX

if you are on a tight budget, i suggest you get one of those snark clip-on tuners. it would also save you pedal board space.

as for noise making, these pedals are the most fun to have:

1.) gated fuzz - depth charge, duality, diabolik, and if you are on a budget, a zvex mastotron (used).

2.) envelop filter - while i really enjoy an MXR (plus its cheap), you'd do better with a footswitch option like a xerograph deluxe or the expensive 3leaf audio ones.

3.) synth pedal - you can even get this first if budget is really tight, i do not have the pedal board space to own one, but you could always check out the one made by Iron Ether. just avoid Boss and Digitech cause they are terrible.

4.) pitch shifter - i am having so much fun with this. you can always go for a boss ps3. i use a boss ps5... but reading talkbass has convinced me that a ps3 could have been better.

5.) octavers - the EHX micro pog is really cool cause of the higher octave. i wont recommend the boss oc3 ... the boss oc2 is where its at, but then again, i never was able to use the oc2 when i had it. foxrox octron is a lot better for noise making cause making it glitch is a lot more rewarding than a boss oc2.

pedals i would not recommend: chorus, phasers, flangers, delays. i owned them and they werent very fun for noise making.

-*-

here are some of the things i have on my pedal board for noisemaking. just dont mind the comments, cause i am not from the US. and oh i forgot, a bit crusher is awesome for noise making :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152157212482318&set=vb.542492317&type=3
  12. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

You could get a used Boss tuner for cheap and a daisy chain cord and that would be an inexpensive power supply.
  13. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I play noise rock stuff. I get a lot of mileage out of Rat distortion pedals.
  14. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Here's Brian Gibson's pedal selection:
    Line 6 DL4 / Boss PW-10 / Boss SD-1 / Boss ODB-3 / Boss OC-2 / DT Whammy

[​IMG]
  15. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Check out loud button electronic w t f, weirdest. Fuzz ever, or iron ether frantabit for weirder stuffs
  16. volerium

volerium

Gibsons pedals arent anything crazy or expensive really. He didnt have the dt whammy until the earthly delights album. And being a huge lightning bolt fan myself when i started buying pedals i ran out and got boss odb3, oc2 and sd1.
    People love to hate on boss pedals for some reason but the build quality is great and they can be picked up for cheap used. I paid 50 for the odb3 and forty for the sd1. One tip ill give you, dont bother chasing down the oc2 that says 'octaver' rather than just 'octave'. Brian Gibson has the octaver version which is the first issue of the pedal from the early 80s. I paid like 120 for it used but you can find the octave one for like 60. No noticeable sound difference. I myself prefer the oc3, combined with the odb3 sounds great to my ears.
    Swollen pickle is my fav pedal when volume is loud, that pedal is super full and bass heavy and fits in great for two piece bands.
    YouTube is your best asset when searching for new equipment. Also ilovefuzz.com and pedalsandeffects.com.
    Since you cant order online easily craigslist and pawn shops would be good bets for cheap used gear.
    Other bands you might like death from above 1979, big business, big black, rapeman, gay witch abortion, arab on radar, weedeater, black pus. And my favorite, starflyer 59.
    Long post i know, trying to pass on what info i can. Feel free to hit me up about other noise effects or music in general.
    Oh! Lastly feedback loops. Ohnoho.com is a good place to start. Noise making hell :)
  17. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I should have added: The Boss tuner has an output that you can plug the daisy chain cord into to power all your other pedals. As long as they're all 9V centre neg you should be okay.
  18. Crypt Ghast

Crypt Ghast

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll get a tuner pedal, Swollen Pickle, and OC-3 for now, then a DL-4 and Rat King when I have money.
  19. spaz21387

spaz21387

I wouldnt get the swollen pickle. It was the worst bass fuzz I owned. I spent hours trying to dial it in. No matter what I did it sound muddy and got lost in the band mix. I liked the sp better on guitar but still sounded muddy. Id suggest a blackout musket. I have tried many fuzzes and the blackout musket is a keeper.
  20. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Heavy Industry
    The Malekko Diabolik is a GREAT fuzz for the money!