1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I've Got A Hiss And I Don't Know Where To Start

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Angel Switch, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

I just recently purchased a used Squier Jazz Bass Standard. It sounds fine, but whenever I turn up the bridge pickup, it introduces a really nasty hiss. This hiss changes its sound a little bit as I adjust the volume of the neck pickup, which leads me to think it's a problem in the bass/pickups/electronics. I, however, don't know a lot about these sorts of things, so I don't know where to start investigating/troubleshooting. Any ideas?
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Are you plugging straight in? or do you have pedals in the chain?
  3. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

I usually use my MXR Bass Compressor, but I knew that could be part of the problem, so I plugged straight into the amp and it was still there.
  4. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Please Search and read the other 465,911,711,000 threads about fender issues. Especially noise.
  5. Winoman

Winoman

First, make sure it's not the audience. ;)
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

If you have the treble on your amp turned up it can happen I hate hiss I know what you are going through I usually just roll back the treble on my amp or bass.
  7. bassbenj

bassbenj

I don't know a lot about what you are talking about either! When you discuss these things you MUST be very accurate in your descriptions.

For example: As I understand it a Squier Standard Jazz bass is a passive bass. Put quite simply, passive basses do not "hiss". Hiss and that is a sound like escaping steam, is an electronic fault. That means it's in active basses or in your amp/preamp.

I suspect you are just calling higher frequency noise (often harmonics of power line "hum" or from high frequency power supplies) hiss. In that case it begins to make sense. I suspect your bass uses single coil pickups. When they are soloed they pick up hum which can also be other kinds of noise even of high frequencies. When both pickups are on full they supposedly cancel noise.

But there is more than one kind of noise. The other kind will give itself away if it changes when you touch ground such as the jack or strings. If that happens then the bass needs shielding like copper foil lining the electronics cavities.

However, IF the bass is active (takes a battery) and it is making a true "hiss" then the problem is the preamp in the bass which is noisy and can only be fixed by replacing it or the transistors in it.
  8. Super Iridium

Super Iridium Supporting Member

I had a similar "hum" issue with my passive bass (Gretsch Junior Jet), and I just used the copper foil "tape" sold by Stew-Mac for the inside of the cavity. HUGE DIFFERENCE!! The hum is basically gone, and the installation was easy to do.

If you haven't tried the copper foil shielding yet, I would do that first.