I've got a question about writing music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Hi all,

I would like to ask you all something, hopefully you can help me out. It's like this : if you write a bass line and in the song, there is a solo for another musician (let's say the guitar player) were you only hear that instrument, how do you write this on your music sheet?

Let's say that solo takes about 15 seconds / 20 seconds (yeah nothing really big, I know, it's just a example :p ), how do I write that rest on my music sheet?
  2. tbear1776

tbear1776

I suggest that you google music symbols and notation. It seem you should brush up on music theory. In answer to your question use a rest symbol for the instruments that will not be playing.
  3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

When the guitar takes his solo everyone else does not stop playing, everyone else continues to play. But now we augmenting his solo, instead of what we did while the vocalist was singing. We still provide harmony and rhythm. We do not stop playing or take a rest as you mentioned.

The rhythm guitar would continue to strum the chords that harmonize the lead guitar's solo melody notes. I let him have center stage and I back off and revert to peddling the tonic root note to the beat of the song while he is doing his solo. Sometime I peddle the 5 what ever feels right. We all augment his solo by continue playing something; we don't take a rest.

As far as writing this on your sheet music its normally just a notation like; Guitar lead break or it could say something like Instrumental - chords to verse # 1 or actual list the chords we are to use, i.e. Cmaj7-Am7-Dm7-G7 and then we know to loop this till he gives the break back to the vocalist. Normally 4 beats per chord.

To answer your question we do not take a rest during the guitar's solo, everyone keeps playing something. There is a musical notation, "Tacet" that means lay out till it tells you to come back in.
  4. edpal

edpal Thread enda or defenda - makes me no neva mind. Gold Supporting Member

Malcom has given you very correct guidance. Just indicate guitar solo, figure out how long it goes on and what chord structure it is going over, generally either the chorus or the verse. If neither it might be considered a "bridge" (connects two parts of a song) but people need to know what it is coming back in on (basically where the guitar solo ends) and where the song goes from there. Very common in rock would be a chorus, then a repeat of the chorus' chords for the solo, then coming back in for the last two lines of the chorus all together with the singer since the last two lines of most chorus' are the title or signature part of the song.

And nobody stops playing, they just tone it down a little. Occasionally someone will play a stronger part behind the soloist, but that is a whole nuther animal. Good question - since you were questioning it.
  5. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

The correct musical term for what you are describing is "Tacet." If you mean a true solo where only one instrument is playing. All of the instruments that are not playing are given the instruction "Tacet." But the alternative is to write something like this on the stave. Let's assume the solo passage is 8 bars:

8​
    |----------|
  6. edpal

The correct answer for a one instrument "true" solo. I think most of us gave the answer for the more commonly encountered "leading instrument" solo where one instrument become very prominent but with support underneath from the other players. Sort of like the person at the top of a human pyramid.:bassist:
  7. Thomas Kievit

Wow! Only one person REALLY understands my question :eek:

Thanks for the input everybody, but I know what I'm talking about.

Yes, I know that the rest of the band continues playing, but there are also songs that (like I said) you only hear one instrument.

Luckily FretlessMainly was paying attention ;)

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

I've always labeled this type of thing as "Guitar Break" (actually written above the barline where it starts), and then a whole rest with a number above it indicating how many measures you're supposed to lay out.
  9. Thomas Kievit

As long as it doesn't take too long it will work I guess.

10. edpal

Ironically the "break" means "the guitarist will now really earn their keep".:D
  11. Groove Master

Groove Master

Well,
    You got a lot of helpful answers here.
    What I don't like about your last post is the cocky attitude towards everybody. Your question was very juvenile by refering to seconds instead of bars numbers.

Everybody was polite AND helpful with that kind of question!

I don't think it is a friendly way of yours, not for me anyway and I'm sure a lot of members will feel the same :rollno:
  12. Thomas Kievit

That's your opion and I respect that. However, I think I was clear at the first comment anyway, but apperently not..

13. Groove Master

Groove Master

It was very vague especially when you talk about seconds instead of numbers of measures or song structure. That to me show some lack of knowledge or experience regarding music writing from your part. But that was ok until you wrote "paying attention", which I felt was a bit rude for the others one.

But yes FretlessMainly got it right and I hope you understand how to write it on the chart. Rests bars would have been ok but for a whole section or a long section the |--------X-------| is the right thing to do.

Good luck with it
  14. Thomas Kievit

You are right about that! Sorry for that.

15. Lownote38

Lownote38

We hope! :D
  16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

So the OP isn't strong on theory and music notation - that's why people ask questions, to learn. He thought in seconds of rest rather than bars. Now he knows more than he did.

And actually, only one person WAS paying attention. He specifically stated that he's thinking of everyone dropping out while the guitar solos, and the replies he got were telling him that everyone else doesn't drop out. I don't see any rudeness there. Only one person did give him the answer he was looking for. If anything, it's slightly rude to lecture someone when you didn't actually follow their question.
  17. Thomas Kievit

Thanks for the backup ;)

18. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

For grins go back to post # 3 and read the last sentence.