1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I've never played a Rick before...but

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by audreycashin, Mar 5, 2014.

1. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

2. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

If you don't like poly finished necks you will like that one, because it is just an oil finish. That's probably the main difference in terms of feel.

3. Guinness20

Guinness20

For so long I'd been desperate to try a ric out, came away feeling a bit flat. They're stunning basses, but it wasn't particularly comfortable. Also, I like to rest my thumb on top of a pickup, but with the ric I didn't know what to do :meh:

4. Mockyngbyrd

Mockyngbyrd

I've found that Treble Bezel Deluxe works well for thumb placement on my 4003.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Amara

Amara Fumble-Fingered Beginner Supporting Member

The treble pickup cover, the mounting for it if you remove the cover, and the thumbrest on the deluxe aftermarket bezel if you put one in after removing the cover are all good places to put your thumb. (None of which exist on the 4004, but I've never played one of those.) I find mine more comfortable than the P-bass clone I had been playing; perhaps I'm in a different posture than people who find it uncomfortable?

7. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

I lusted after Rics for years, eventually bought one and loved it. 20 years later my playing style and musical taste is completely different and I'd have no use in my arsenal for one.

but THAT....I would love to buy just to hang over the couch like artwork.

8. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

The maple fingerboard got my attention!

9. JH Statts

JH Statts

That's beautiful. Some people find them uncomfortable, or say Ric's "ouchie" their forearms. I never had issues with mine. The same dead roundwounds are still on it; they just sound "right" for it. I've had it for 19 years and will hopefully have it until I die.

10. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

:scowl: already own a lot of art....trying to talk myself out of buying it just cause it's so effin pretty!

11. Ray Fierro

Ray Fierro

Go for it, you won't regret it. It is a beauty and it sounds great! I have always been a Fender bassist, but my new Ric 4003W is special. I have the deluxe bezel for it but I am still giving the pup guard a chance before I change it out. The front edge is cut sharper than a rounded out Fender and could cause discomfort to the forearm but it hasn't been a bother at all, just get used to it.

12. M0ses

M0ses

I used to love the way Rics look. They're may favorite body shape, bar none.

Now those 4003w are just absolutely stunning.

13. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I wish I had kids so I could trade them for one of these Rics. That combo is better than any dream I could possibly have. But I can't afford it :(

14. Weirdo

Weirdo

I played one when i was in Melbourne last, a 76 i think. Sounded aweeeeeeesome, Could probably really get into it, But the neck was a bit too chunky for my liking. Nothing wrong with the bass at all, it was amazing, but to me. Not 3,5000 amazing.

15. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I've always rested my thumb on the neck pickup and plucked about halfway between the neck and bridge pickups. After getting used to resting my thumb on the edge of the pick guard on my P-bass, I sometimes find myself doing the same on the Rick.

Glad I'm not the only one without the patience to master the floating thumb technique! ;-)

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    For me, Ricks are like coming home to; very comfortable to me. I have played quite a few over the past 40 or so years now. Currently, I have got two 4004 Laredos (Ruby and Snowglo), a 2030GF and a March '73 4001 with a '60s magnetic horseshoe pickup in it..Occasionally, I will pick up my '67 330 to add guitar tracks to a mix.

17. Greg_S

Greg_S I F*@%!#G HATE PACKING PEANUTS! Gold Supporting Member

18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    That may be a tough sell given the many mods done to it. Hopefully someone is looking for one just like that one.

19. Greg_S

Greg_S I F*@%!#G HATE PACKING PEANUTS! Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for your reply Jeff. Just to clarify, this is NOT a modified Ric but a brand new copy from a luthier in Poland. Rickenbacker has never used these woods or components. I mentioned it here in case someone who likes Ric's might find this a neat addition to their collection, as I did.

20. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I've played my 4001 for over 30 years, and for 20 of those years it was my only bass. I love it for the sound and I love the shape, but I'm not blind to it's foibles either.

I don't find Rics that comfortable. I haven't had the bridge pickup cover on mine since the day after I bought it but the bridge pickup surround is no fun either, it is too big and clunky and has sharp edges (yes I know you can get a bezel to put around the pickup). I have pretty chequerboard binding on mine but, with a bound Ric, you either adapt so that your forearm doesn't rest on the rear bout, or you put up with the weal across your inner forearm - I adapted!

In my opinion, the standard bridge is the work of the devil, the dual truss rods unnecessarily complex and the neck pickup adjustment being down to a couple of rubber grommets is primitive. I have a toaster pickup on mine, it is actually a guitar pickup with six magnets and on mine there was a tendency for the magnets to drop out of the coil former until I put a dab of epoxy on the side of the magnet.

I don't use it so much as my main bass anymore because I use a five or six string mostly, but For me all the compromises you make with a Ric are worth it just to hear it in full flight, I will never sell mine.

21. Lo-E

Lo-E

Yeah, I'm with you. I love my Ric (and I wouldn't mind a couple more ;) ), but a player who is used to the way a Fender feels and balances will definitely have a bit of a learning curve with a Ric, IMO.

Rics have a really distinctive sound that's unbeatable in certain situations, and that look! Man, do they look great!, but that tone isn't always easy to work with and the physical oddities of Rics that others have mentioned; the sharp body edge, weird thumb placement, the way they balance, the bridge, neck adjustment... and I'll add to the list that the necks can be vastly different from bass to bass, depending upon when it was made. All these things can make Rics hard to love.

My personal experience was that, after a bit of adjustment, all the Ric-isms were worth it in the long run. It's a boss looking bass that's really fun to play, but I still find it a bit weird.

For what it's worth, and strictly my opinion, I think Ric's quality control and consistency of specs has been better in the last few years than it has in the whole rest of the company's history. It's much harder to get a bad one than it used to be. Also, proper slotting at the nut can make all the difference in the world on Rics. They tend to leave the factory with the nuts slots cut pretty high, but getting the action right up there can really transform a Ric - it seems to have a more dramatic effect than it does on a Fender, to me anyway.

So, yeah, go ahead and buy one. They're cool as heck. Just prepare for it to be very different to what you're used to.