J.B. Player P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shoot-r, Dec 19, 2013.

1. shoot-r

shoot-r

Stumbled onto a J.B. Player P-Bass at a pawn shop today for $125.00 with case.

Played great, sounded good, felt just like a real Fender P, but I never heard of them.

Anyone tell me about J.B. Players........

2. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Media:
    Haha I have great memories of playing one of those piles of wood chips through high school. White fender jazz style, with awful electronics, slipping tuners, stripped truss rod and a 5/8 inch high action at the 12th fret. I loved it because it was so badly put together and I wanted to rock it hard anyway

They are, in my experience, pieces of raw cheap crap. I'm sure they can be set up and made playable but I'd MUCH rather steer you toward an SX or Squier for that type of sound/build.
  3. mongo2

mongo2

I used several of their aftermarket necks to assemble instruments in the 80s. They were very nice.
  4. shoot-r

shoot-r

Pretty much tells me to stay away, thanks for the heads up!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

I feel I must comment.
    Awful electronics: sure, it's a budget bass.
    Slipping tuners: fallacy, tuners don't slip. More likely, improper stringing, tuning or poorly cut nut.
    Stripped truss rod: user error
    High action: due to stripped truss rod, see above.

The are typical budget instruments. With a proper set up, it would probably play fine. I wouldn't pay more than $75 for one ($100 with a good case).
  7. thumpguy123

thumpguy123

i find that most budget basses that i pick up are actually quite usable. out of the 13 basses i have right now, 3 of them are beginner instruments. is that a bad thing?? nope. with a proper setup and some work, anything can be playable. if it plays nice to you, it sounds like a good deal at 125 with a hard case. you can always flip it and use the case for something else if you don't like it
  8. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Media:
    My experience with a J.B. Player in terms of quality versus other budget basses was honest and an opinion on what the OP should do regarding those basses... Which is stay away. There are a dozen makes/models comparable in price to that JB Player that are put together using better materials and better quality control.

I knew the smarmy know-it-all comments were coming. The fact is that now I could do a setup on a rubber band taped to a 2x4 and make it playable.

That J.B. Player from my youth was a piece of garbage before and after I had it, especially when compared directly to the used MIM fender jazz I bought to replace it back then.
  9. Dluxe

Dluxe

I do know they've made several different styles of Fender type basses. The earlier models are worth seeking out. I owned an active version (tuners not original) which was a very nice sounding/playing bass. The passive P style ones were very good too. South Austin Music sold them back in the late 1980's/early 1990's. I think they were selling the passive P basses for $225. Here is what mine looked like. The newer ones have a different headstock shape. If the one you are looking at has the lawsuit headstock I'd get it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. hueylove21

hueylove21

I have a Lawsuit head J. P. Player bass and I am in love with it. I own 5 Fenders and my JB plays as good and sounds really good as my best Fender. I believe quality was put into the earlier ones then they started to make crappy ones. But my Professional series plays great in every way. I collect Lawsuit type Fender bass and some of them were made very well and I ind no fault with MY JB. I have gigged it out many times and it rocked the house. It has great smooth low tone that I love. Does not sound that great when slapping but great for grooving.
  11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

+1000

My old red P/J Player was the only bass I've ever (regrettably) owned that made my Hondo II Explorer (also a POS) seem nice.

Affordable basses have come a loooong way since then....