1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

J/P/J Bass guitar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TZero, Jan 14, 2013.

1. TZero

TZero

Hey i was thinking about putting another Jazz bass pickup on my P/J jaguar bass.
    I was thinking putting it really close to the neck to get a really smooth bassy tone. This keep the P-bass pickup in place to retain the P-bass tone that we all love.
    So i was wondering does anybody know anything about this, any wiring ideas or basses that have this, or just any ideas or experiences?

:bassist:
  2. irock

irock

I have a 77 jazz that has this pickup configuration. I like it. I bought it that way
    Whats cool about mine that each pick up has its own on/off switch so theres lots of choices
  3. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I've been planning one for a long time.

Variant one is a switcher that selects JJ, PJ and JPJ. The pot values are off - I recommend at least 500K pots because of the bigger-than-usual number of pickups.
    [​IMG]

Variant two is a passive variant of Stu Hamm's Fender Urge II bass.
    [​IMG]

If you want to use the latter, please check it tomorrow, I need to redo a small detail on the wiring and won't get to it till evening here in the GMT+2 time zone.
    Edit: The Passive Urge II wiring has been fixed.
  4. TZero

TZero

That sounds awesome, probably what i will end up doing.
  5. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

6. smallstoner

smallstoner

I've been thinking about this lately, too, on a P body with a J neck. Also considering 2 or 3 P-style pickups. No idea what they'd sound like at the bridge or closer to neck, but interested in finding out. I was thinking maybe just 3 volume knobs, but the switches is probably a better idea.
  7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Here is mine, the neck J PUP sounds huge, I use it 75+ percent of the time, use the P PUP for growl or a mid-rangey tone. I don't know how much closer I would go to the nut than mine which is 26" from the nut.

Stealth, I still haven't incorporated your schematic, we've had our worst winter in 64 years here so I've just been staying home working on material for 4 sets in a new band (it didn't have the error you referenced above did it?.

I need to find a good source for the parts, mine never responded to an email.

Attached Files:

8. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

The image above is the correct one, I replaced the faulty schematic with a good one.