1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

J/P/J Bass guitar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TZero, Jan 14, 2013.

1. TZero

TZero

Hey i was thinking about putting another Jazz bass pickup on my P/J jaguar bass.
    I was thinking putting it really close to the neck to get a really smooth bassy tone. This keep the P-bass pickup in place to retain the P-bass tone that we all love.
    So i was wondering does anybody know anything about this, any wiring ideas or basses that have this, or just any ideas or experiences?

:bassist:

2. irock

irock

I have a 77 jazz that has this pickup configuration. I like it. I bought it that way
    Whats cool about mine that each pick up has its own on/off switch so theres lots of choices

3. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I've been planning one for a long time.

Variant one is a switcher that selects JJ, PJ and JPJ. The pot values are off - I recommend at least 500K pots because of the bigger-than-usual number of pickups.
    [​IMG]

Variant two is a passive variant of Stu Hamm's Fender Urge II bass.
    [​IMG]

If you want to use the latter, please check it tomorrow, I need to redo a small detail on the wiring and won't get to it till evening here in the GMT+2 time zone.
    Edit: The Passive Urge II wiring has been fixed.

4. TZero

TZero

That sounds awesome, probably what i will end up doing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

7. smallstoner

smallstoner

I've been thinking about this lately, too, on a P body with a J neck. Also considering 2 or 3 P-style pickups. No idea what they'd sound like at the bridge or closer to neck, but interested in finding out. I was thinking maybe just 3 volume knobs, but the switches is probably a better idea.

8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Here is mine, the neck J PUP sounds huge, I use it 75+ percent of the time, use the P PUP for growl or a mid-rangey tone. I don't know how much closer I would go to the nut than mine which is 26" from the nut.

Stealth, I still haven't incorporated your schematic, we've had our worst winter in 64 years here so I've just been staying home working on material for 4 sets in a new band (it didn't have the error you referenced above did it?.

I need to find a good source for the parts, mine never responded to an email.

Attached Files:

9. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

The image above is the correct one, I replaced the faulty schematic with a good one.