"J" pickups discussion and comparisons - PART II

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by grygrx, Oct 21, 2013.

1. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Media:
  2. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

I had NJ4SV pickups with an ACG preamp and it was dead quiet, no hiss. The reason I got the ACG preamp was the tone filter WAL-ish sounds but also the Audere that I had in there with the same pickups gave me a high frequency hiss, not buzz or hum, but hiss. It could only be tamed by turning the treble down quite a bit. Now, I am one of the very few who had problems with an Audere preamp, so it must have been my particular setup or combination of things.

3. AndroWal

AndroWal Supporting Member

Received my Overwater J5 24 about three weeks ago. It's loaded with their low noise single coils and a John East three-band with variable mids.

This combo of pick-ups and electronics in a Jazz Bass configuration is a great set-up. Sound quality is wonderful and the ability to dial-in lots of different sounds is excellent. It also is active/passive and the passive tone control works in the active mode also....a great feature.

4. Cney

Cney

Anyone here have the Joe Barden JB4? Or the SGD Neo's?. My Squier VM 70 has SDQP's, Aggie OBP3 and a Babicz bridge. The outer strings don't line up with the poles. It is because of the neck taper I think. I didn't see a post regarding one of these pickups.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. purpleunicorn42

purpleunicorn42

Disclosures:
    Working Artist
    Im looking to change my pickups in my ibanez soundgear what do you guys think? BTW im trying to mimic the sound of a Warwick, Musicman, and possible a Fender. Also i play in a Reggae/rock/funk jam band, and need a punchy yet clear noticeable sound. Ps. not much of a gear head YET so please help.

7. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

I have a set of SGD Neos in my Jazz, run passive. I absolutely love them.

8. Jack Red Ent

Jack Red Ent

Newbie here, guitarist now playing, and honing my bass skills. Recently got an MIA J standard with the custom shops. Wondered opinions on swap out for Vintage noiseless, N3s, just shield the cavity? or any advice. Mainly play Blues, Rock and originals. Not a Metal player but admire what they do. Have come here to look over the years but now joined. Thanks for any help.

9. KingRazor

KingRazor

For those who have tried (or at least heard) both the NJ4SE and NJ4SV pickups, which do you think would work better for Hillsong and/or Chris Tomlin type Christian Contemporary tunes?

10. Jepus

Jepus Supporting Member

Nordy 70s vs Aguilar 70s?

Any opinions on which one would suit my geddy lee jazz bass. Looking for a sizzle high end with a nice round bottom and, of course. a lot of growl.

Will probably pair it up with an East J Retro.

EDIT: Couldn't wait, ordered the Nordy's will report back when they arrive and I have them installed with the J Retro.

11. btglbass

btglbass

No doubt you will want to hang me high from the yardarm after this, but here goes.

Looking at Jazz bass single coil pickups. Randomly picked examples.

Nordstrand NJ4 £140.
    Lindy Fralin Jazz Bass £150
    Tonerider Jazz plus £58.90

Nordstrand blurb:
    Made with 60’s era correct Heavy Formvar wire and Alnico V magnets. In winding these pickups we use a simulated hand wound pattern.
    Coil resistance ~8K

Lindy Fralin blurb:
    Using ALNICO V magnets and 42 gauge Heavy Formvar wire, they are all hand wound to vintage specifications.
    Coil resistance ~8K

Tonerider blurb:
    High-Grade "Smooth-Top" Alnico V Pole pieces - no sharp edges!
    42 gauge Heavy Formvar wire
    All coils scatter wound on our 999-step CNC winding machines.
    Coil resistance ~8K

The parameters from a pickup that matter are output voltage and frequency response.
    The output voltage depends on the magnet dimensions and field strength, the wire diameter and number of turns on the coil. The frequency response depends on the inductance of the coil.

If the magnetic field is too strong, it will influence the string and reduce the sustain of the guitar. If it is to weak, the output level will be low.
    So there is an optimum field strength to aim for.

The greater the number of turns on the coil, the greater the coil resistance, the higher the output voltage.
    The greater the number of turns on the coil, the higher the inductance of the coil, reducing the high frequency response. A compromise between output and frequency response.
    So there is an optimum number of turns to aim for.

Three makes of pickup, all with the same physical dimensions.
    All use Alnico V pole pieces of the same diameter with similar field strengths.
    All use 42 gauge wire with similar number of turns.
    All use simulated hand wound patterns.

It is a basic electronic component, magnets and wire, a coil, no magic involved.

How much difference in sound could there possibly be?
    Can one sound sweeter? How?
    Could you tell the difference in a blind listening test?
    Is this a case of the Emperors new clothes?

Different output levels? Doesn't matter, plug into an amp and adjust the gain.
    Different frequency response? Doesn't matter, plug into an amp and adjust the tone controls.

So, you got to ask yourself, where's the best bang for your buck?

12. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
  13. therhodeo

therhodeo

I've played that style on fender J's, MTD Kingston MM pickups, Carvin stock pickups (in a fretless 6 string), EMG's, and once on another guys yamaha with stock soapbars. I wouldn't say that that type of music is going to qualify or disqualify either of those pickups unless you have a more specific personal preference.

14. McDawids

McDawids

Hi everyone.
    I've own a Fender American Deluxe Jazz V 2011, and I want to change pickups on it.
    I do prefer true single coils, but I'm afraid that with original buzzy preamp it will be to noisy.
    With original N3 pickups my bass has a wary little noise, so i don't care about it. But without noisless pickups it probably may be much louder.

Please tell me, did anybody apply single coils on AmDlx Jazz ?
    How does it work with original preamp? Is it noisy?

15. Marihino

Marihino

16. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Something I've often wondered myself. I know that the Aguilar 4J-60s in my MIJ Squier sound and feel "better" to me (clearer, more balanced and responsive) than either the original Squier pickups or the Duncan SJB-2s I tried. But I have no idea whether the Aggies sound appreciably different from any of the other "vintage correct" possibilities out there.

Curious to hear what others have to say.

17. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Actually no however all are ash bodies from warmoth within 2oz of weight of each other.

60s - Modulus neck, Audere pre
    70s - Status neck, Audere pre
    Dimarzio - Maple/Maple neck, Nordstrand pre

18. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    I bought some used Fralins and put them in my VM Squire 5 and they sound really good.

19. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

I put new 2013 MIA J 5 pups in a Squier Affinity Jazz 5 and it is a terrific bass now.

20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

have alleva coppolos in my 84 squier jazz, warm and sweetly subdued, totally even tone from string to string

21. ptooner

ptooner

Let me throw this out for a little advice. I have an old Ibanez GSR200 sitting in a corner of my studio that I really like the feel of. I also have a Yamaha Fretless (forget the model, it's out in the trailer) that I actually play on stage occasionally because I like the feel. I just got to wondering if it would be possible to make either or both of these basses sound as good as they feel? Of course if it winds up costing me as much as my higher end basses it wouldn't be very cost effective but it still might be an interesting experiment. I usually prefer passive basses, but some of my better instruments are active so I can go either way. I play mostly country or bluegrass when I'm on bass. Any ideas?