1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

"J' vs "P" inputs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phleb1968, Jan 4, 2013.

1. phleb1968

phleb1968

Jan 18, 2011
    OHIO
    I have (mainly) played basses with the input jack on the bottom edge of the body, not on the top aka Fender P and J. Is it pos to have the input jack replaced to the edge on the J bass body?

2. just use a right angled plug

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. phleb1968

phleb1968

Jan 18, 2011
    OHIO
    I have actually tried that. I guess it must be a "mental" thing with me. That has always been my turn-off on Fender bass'. ILOVE the tone, and there look...just the darn jack on the top. UGH!!

5. Yes, but what will you do with the new hole on top?

6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

7. ACNick

ACNick Guest

Oct 23, 2012
    South Florida
    To answer the original question. Yes, it is possible to have the jack placed on the side of the instrument; but it requires drilling a new hole for the input jack, since there isn't a hole there already (at least, there shouldn't be).

8. kander

kander

Feb 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I've read that having the jack on the side gives better tone and is better for metal ...

9. Only if the bass is black.

10. phleb1968

phleb1968

Jan 18, 2011
    OHIO
  11. phleb1968

phleb1968

Jan 18, 2011
    OHIO
  12. phleb1968

phleb1968

Jan 18, 2011
    OHIO
  13. NYCbassist

14. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I had the jack moved on my Telecaster Bass - used the original hole for one of the controls:

[​IMG]

Each pickup has its own output - that's why there are two cables sticking out - the guy who did it put on an output jack plate from a Rickenfaker...

15. OK, I'll be THAT guy. it's an OUTPUT jack.
    :bag:

16. ACNick

ACNick Guest

Oct 23, 2012
    South Florida
    DOH! I feel so ashamed :atoz:

17. NYCbassist

:)

18. iunno

iunno

Dec 16, 2010
    What is it you don't like about top jacks? The plug usually gets in the way on side jacks for me.

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    The Fender top-mount jack is simply more practical and less damage-prone, particularly if you play sitting down. Leo moved them there on purpose and it was a very good call.

This is one of the silliest gripes against Fender basses I've ever heard on TalkBass, which is really saying something. :rolleyes:

Use a quality right angle plug and get over it.

20. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Ha ha! :D

21. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Yeah this is kinda crazy. Where the jack is located is the least of my concerns regarding an instrument.