1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

J vs. P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capncal, Dec 11, 2012.

1. capncal

capncal

This perhaps isn't a fair comparison as I've an American Standard P Bass and and Indonesian Squire J.

But I've noticed the J likes the pick a lot more than the P. Much more attack and clarity from a pick vs. fingers on the J.

The P sounds great, don't get me wrong. But switching from fingerstyle to pick style doesn't have the impact on the P like the J.

Is this just the make of basses I've got, or do Jazz basses in general accept the pick treatment better than P's?

2. msb

msb

Sounds like you might have purchased a defective pick .

3. Salamenster

Salamenster

What PU-config were you using?

4. benlauziere

benlauziere

+1.

P bass should be more aggressive with a pick than a J with a pick. Js are usually played with fingers.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. capncal

capncal

i'm playing the J with both pick ups full on. and i've tried various pick makes.

the P sounds great, pick or fingers. i can just tell a bigger difference switching to a pick on the J.

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

The sound of a P bass with flats and a pick with the tone wide open is one of the coolest bass sounds ever!

8. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole. Don;t you know not to say anything bad about the P-Bass?

9. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

10. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

The tones created depend greatly on the area of the string you strike in its relation to the position of the pickup..Basically,closer to the bridge gets you a brighter tone and further up the neck gets your warmer,"rounder" tones,regardless of pickup configuration..