1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

J vs. P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capncal, Dec 11, 2012.

1. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    This perhaps isn't a fair comparison as I've an American Standard P Bass and and Indonesian Squire J.

But I've noticed the J likes the pick a lot more than the P. Much more attack and clarity from a pick vs. fingers on the J.

The P sounds great, don't get me wrong. But switching from fingerstyle to pick style doesn't have the impact on the P like the J.

Is this just the make of basses I've got, or do Jazz basses in general accept the pick treatment better than P's?

2. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Sounds like you might have purchased a defective pick .

3. What PU-config were you using?

4. +1.

P bass should be more aggressive with a pick than a J with a pick. Js are usually played with fingers.

5. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    i'm playing the J with both pick ups full on. and i've tried various pick makes.

the P sounds great, pick or fingers. i can just tell a bigger difference switching to a pick on the J.

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    The sound of a P bass with flats and a pick with the tone wide open is one of the coolest bass sounds ever!

7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole. Don;t you know not to say anything bad about the P-Bass?

8. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    The tones created depend greatly on the area of the string you strike in its relation to the position of the pickup..Basically,closer to the bridge gets you a brighter tone and further up the neck gets your warmer,"rounder" tones,regardless of pickup configuration..