1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

J vs. P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capncal, Dec 11, 2012.

1. capncal

capncal

This perhaps isn't a fair comparison as I've an American Standard P Bass and and Indonesian Squire J.

But I've noticed the J likes the pick a lot more than the P. Much more attack and clarity from a pick vs. fingers on the J.

The P sounds great, don't get me wrong. But switching from fingerstyle to pick style doesn't have the impact on the P like the J.

Is this just the make of basses I've got, or do Jazz basses in general accept the pick treatment better than P's?
  2. msb

msb

Sounds like you might have purchased a defective pick .
  3. Salamenster

Salamenster

What PU-config were you using?
  4. benlauziere

benlauziere

+1.

P bass should be more aggressive with a pick than a J with a pick. Js are usually played with fingers.
  5. capncal

capncal

i'm playing the J with both pick ups full on. and i've tried various pick makes.

the P sounds great, pick or fingers. i can just tell a bigger difference switching to a pick on the J.
  6. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

The sound of a P bass with flats and a pick with the tone wide open is one of the coolest bass sounds ever!
  7. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole. Don;t you know not to say anything bad about the P-Bass?
  8. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

9. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

The tones created depend greatly on the area of the string you strike in its relation to the position of the pickup..Basically,closer to the bridge gets you a brighter tone and further up the neck gets your warmer,"rounder" tones,regardless of pickup configuration..