1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jack Casady bass Looking for a wiring harness

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ev rodriguez, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ev rodriguez

ev rodriguez Supporting Member

I recently picked up a JCB that is really in good condition except the previous owner butchered the pots and caps. The pickup and transformer seem to be fine. Trying to find a ready to install restoration wiring harness (hopefully) with instructions that I can solder in place.

Anybody?

2. pfox14

pfox14

Google doesn't bring up much. Maybe try contacting Gibson.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You are probably not going to find a factory wiring harness for any particular bass. You will most likely have to by the individual components and have everything soldered afterwards.

4. ev rodriguez

I was hoping maybe somebody had pulled a Petey Townsend on one of these, and might be parting it out!

I've got an email out to Gibson, but had mixed results with their service and support responses previously. If I get a response I'll post it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ev rodriguez

BTW I recently had a total electronic restore and re- fret including a fretboard refinish done on a 1973 4001. I called Rick for the rick-o-sound wiring harness w/ controls caps, the whole 9 yards...and the fellow who answered the phone had one of their techs pull the specs and build me one. Sold it to me for $80.00. Certainly more than the price of the parts, but it was well worth getting the real McCoy from Ric. He did me a favor, it's not their SOP.

7. pfox14

pfox14

Don't expect this from Gibson. Ain't gonna happen.

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

I had a pot go bad in my Casady last year and went through a whole bunch of crap for months trying to find replacement pots. Tried several that seemed close but either they didn't sound quite right or the taper was wrong. I ended up getting stock replacements ordered from Epiphone by Long & McQuade. It took several weeks to get one and several more to get the other but they work well and as far as I could find are the only ones that really do.

9. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

10. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

That schematic can be found in several posts over the years. Unfortunately long shaft 2.5k log pots that fit the Casady aren't quite that easy to find....I'll buy dinner and drinks in Vancouver for anyone that can point me to a reliable source of mil spec ones.