1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jack Casady Strap Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lavaman67, Feb 10, 2013.

1. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Hey Jack Casady owners!,

I just bought a Jack Casady and while it's a great bass, it does have an odd placement for top strap pin. In order to hang straight it almost needs a single nylon thread from the stap to attach to the pin. Almost like an acoustic strap, I guess. I don't want to remove the pin, so any recommendations on a really good strap to help balance the neck dive and to lay straight?

Thanks!

2. tony moore

tony moore

i use a wider leather strap with a suede back and it stops the drop on my casady.

3. Itzayana

Itzayana

4. lavaman67

My JC is only 7.7 lbs, so it's not heavy at all. The pin placement is on the very back, so it's just at a really odd angle.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

No strap will solve the way the JC leans outward. The solution is to move the pin to the end of the upper horn, but that area first needs to be reinforced internally.

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

I installed my usual Dunlop StrapLoks, purchased a wide Leather Strap to combat the neck dive inherent in a semi-hollowbody, and installed the "Male" StrapLoks on the strap with one reversed: ie: facing backwards while the other is facing forwards. This creates a 180-degree "twist" in the strap that allows it to lay against the shoulder comfortably before twisting to lock in the butt-end of the bass.

8. lavaman67

I have heard about people doing this, but really want to avoid this.

9. lavaman67

Ok, this sounds like it could work. Thanks Ian! I have this strap on order, and I two sets of Dunlop Straplocks, so I will give it whirl.

http://www.levysleathers.com/product;cat,818;item,374;Bass-Guitar-Straps-M29

10. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Jack uses a 4 inch wide strap and keeps his bass at a 10 O'clock position.
    I picked up a 3 inch wide stap from Jodi Head, and ended up taking sand paper to the under side to roughen it up so that it doesn't slide on my shoulder. I wish I had asked her do a suede underside. She's quite open to doing custom made straps, and is very pleasant to work with.
    http://www.jodihead.com/index.html

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

When I had my Casady, I used a Pro Comfort Strapp (Extra Long version). But that was my biggest gripe about the bass. I hated that button placement.

12. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

lavaman67:

I'd really like to hear how the Levys strap works out for you. Will you let us know?

13. lavaman67

Will do. It's supposed to be here Wed. PM. I have a gig in Detroit on Friday, so I am hoping it works right off the bat.

14. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Don't blame you, it's a bit of a PITA job. I'm going to do it to mine when I get time. Not liking the way it hangs now.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Same for me. The Casady doesn't need a special strap, just a wide one with good friction on the inside to keep it from moving. I've not had any problem with the strap mounts and bass position - when I have my hands on it it's not leaning forward. When my hands are not on it I'm not playing it so I don't care if it leans forward.

I generally don't buy bass straps that are not wide and do not have suede on the inside. Exceptions are only for very light, well-balanced instruments.

16. lavaman67

Well, the Levy's strap does help, but it's still not hanging the way I want it to. My Precision is perfect. The JC still has too much neck dive and leans away from me. Again, it's better with the strap, but I am not going to fight a bass while playing. Does anyone have any pics of of a professionally done pin replacement?

17. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

I've tried several straps and this bass seems pretty finicky about what works. The boutique Gibson strap with the sliding memory foam shoulder pad was horrible with virtually no friction between strap and shoulder to combat neck dive. A Neoteck also didn't offer enough friction and the weight absorption characteristics were kinda wasted on this light an instrument. A 4" Levy's MSS2-4 was ok but so wide that the upper horn caught on it regularly. Not a huge deal but more irritation than I was willing to put up with. I'm not a super long strap guy but since this bass works well lower and tipped up almost into an upright position a the 4" Levy's didn't adjust quite long enough either.

What works for me is a Levy's MG62E03 that tapers from 2.5" to 1" so it stays off the upper horn, has a little padding so it's comfortable (although in my mind the bass is so light this isn't a primary concern) and is suede backed so it combats dive better than smoother leather.

18. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

19. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

20. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Out of everything I've tried, this guy worked the best for me. There's still a bit of neck dive to it, but it's pretty minimal. The only other thing that was 100% successful was the Heads Up strap, but having a strap with lead weights in one end was totally throwing my body off!