1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jack Off of Jack On?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FreeBassJunky, Dec 3, 2012.

1. FreeBassJunky

FreeBassJunky

For all of youse guys that use pedals, stompboxes, or wah-wahs, when you are not playing, do you unplug your cable from the said pedal, do you take the 9v battery out, or do you just leave it? I have read that some pedals are "on" as long as the circuit is complete. What should I do to conserve battery power?

2. bassteban

bassteban

Plugged in w/ battery(as opposed to wal-wart/power supply) usually means drain, so I unplug. I think you can leave the batt in

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Must resist urge to make juvenile comment about thread title!:D

4. bassteban

bassteban

Yeah, way too easy. I need more of a challenge. It will get some attention though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

if you are not playing pedal for an extended period of time, like a month or what ever, definately take out the battery. I've had a lot of top brand batteries swell up and leak lately. You don't what that in your pedal.

That said, there are very few times where I need a battery. So when I'm using shore-power I take the bateries out because of the leaking issue and stuff on the board may not move for months.

Unplugging on battery power is a good idea, but unplugging on breaks seems a bit excessive to me.

7. AaronMB

AaronMB

If you want to save the battery's life, in general, unplug the input jack: jack off.

FYI - Some pedals will still drain a battery, it just takes longer with the jack off.

+1 to the leaking issue. It happens [even] with the jack off. :bassist:

Yes - way too easy; I just had to, though...

8. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Ya ... hahahahaha ... ya hahaha ...

Sorry that was my Beavis and Butthead reaction.

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yesh - the title should be Plug IN or Plug OUT unless the double entendre is intentional.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That's what she said?