jack wiring clearification

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JIO, Nov 15, 2012.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I sorted out a problem today that involved attempting to follow a bit of visual logic regarding jacks. Jim - Jim, I'm not an electrical genius (and I'm not a doctor), but like Mr Spock I do follow logic whenever possible. A standard (stereo) jack is visually logical. You can see see where each of the 3 poles go and attach your wires accordingly. A barrel jack is visually less obvious. There are 3 poles coming out the end of the barrel; a tall one and a less tall one both more in the center, and a peripherally oriented wider one. If you consider a thread of connection from one design to the other, logic would visually identify the wider peripheral one as the ring, and you would be right. You might also identify the tall one as the tip/hot connection, and incorrectly so as it is in fact the shorter one. My question is this; if there are 2 poles coming from the center-ish of the barrel and to differentiate one from the other, one is slightly longer (or one is slightly shorter depending on your way of looking at it), then why would it be necessary to reverse them from the established/accepted visual logic of the original design? I'm going o go out on a limb here assuming the standard design came first, only because the earliest of Fender instruments used that design, so since the late 40's anyway- probably older on lap-steels etc. Whenever it was first made, a barrel jack works great on thicker, narrower installs and so was a needed design. I just wish everyone would get on the same page sometimes and stop being different for different sake. It's just silly and unnecessary. That's all.