1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

jacks on Ken Smith basses

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kirk P Brosius, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Kirk P Brosius

Kirk P Brosius

Hello all,

Have any of you Ken Smith players replaced the stock jack with an aftermarket jack? The OEM versions don't seem to like Monster cables and tend to stop working if subjected to a little careless handling. I'm very careful with my gear but, stuff happens! I've replaced my jack once in ten years but I'm not looking forward to spending another $25 ($15 for the jack, $10 for shipping) if it fails again.

There are plenty of bass manufacturers using the flush mount jack which engages the pre when the cable is inserted and I'm just wondering!!!!

Later, Kirk

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

My Ken Smith has had the same problem. Monster cables were notorious for having connectors that are a few thousandths larger than average (I'm not sure if this has been remedied in recent years). Using these oversized connectors weakens the tension of the jacks and makes other cables feel loose and sloppy. I suggest getting your jack replaced and switching out your primary instrument cable.

3. Kirk P Brosius

Kirk P Brosius

Hey testing,

Thanks for the words. I now use a PlanetWaves 90deg/straight and it works fine. I also put in a new jack about a year ago (very easy to do, thanks to Ken for the engineering) and all is well! I'm just thinking ahead!!!

Later, Kirk

4. Ronen

Ronen

Hi Kirk,
    Which jack did you choose for a replacement? I can see this problem coming my way soon enough.
    Thanks,
    R

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kirk P Brosius

Kirk P Brosius

Hey Ronen,

I bought the OEM jack from Ken along with a new set of Compressors. I figured that since I was buying strings, I might as well pick up a jack as well.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards, Kirk

7. Ronen

Ronen

Thanks Kirk!
    Since I'm not in the US I wanted to know what exactly to look for, maybe I can find it here.
    Do you know if it's a stereo or a mono jack?

8. gfried84

gfried84

Disclosures:
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    Switchcraft stereo barrel jacks are the jacks that fit ken smith basses. I replace these frequently at my shop. These types of jacks are notorious for failing.

9. Ronen

Ronen

Thanks. I'll look into these, maybe order a few to have around.
    The connections on my jack are fine but it feels loose when I plug a cable in. I'm afraid it will come out just by itself.

10. Kirk P Brosius

Kirk P Brosius

Hey gfried and all,

Thanks for the heads-up on Switchcraft.
    They are available at AllParts for $9.50 ea. and are in stock. Now, where's my soldering iron?

Kirk

11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

12. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

They don't just fall out. I've never experienced that, but they do get damaged very easily by rattling around and by TRS cables if I remember correctly.

Ken Smith jacks are different in that they don't require soldering; they have a connector that justs plugs into preamp more conveniently. I guess he knew that they were failing too often. This is a major flaw in an otherwise perfect instrument in my opinion. Reliability is so important. A jack can't just signal out randomly.

13. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

Is that link to the exact same model of OEM jacks that Ken sent you? I've been struggling with this problem for years and it has made me almost give up on my Ken Smith bass because it happens so often.

14. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Wondering the same thing. I need to replace mine.

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it's just a switchcraft #152B stereo barrel jack you can find at any decent music store, you guys are over-thinking this.

they wear out every few years and need to be replaced, totally normal.

avoiding monster cables and always using right-angle cables slipped through the strap will lengthen their life.

16. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

Is there another type of jack that could replace this type of jack that would have a longer life? I'll try to start investing in right angle cords but its hard to throw away 15 cables.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

not without routing out the bass for a jackplate, and it's not too hard to put right-angle ends onto existing cables.