1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

jackson 5

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    1st, who's playing da bass? sounds like jamerson, but i'm pretty sure it ain't.

2nd, i think every bassist should learn at least a couple of those old songs. seems like required reading to me. last night i learned "i'll be there" and segments of "got to be there".... just realized that little michael had a strong desire to be "there". where is there? hmmm... the plastic surgeons office???

got to be there has some of the bestest lines and fills i ever done hurd. never noticed before.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Jamerson did "I want you back", I believe - which has a cracking line.

Dunno who did "got to be there", but that is smoking too. Could be Bob Babbitt?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I always thought Wilton Felder(known better for his "sax-in'" with The Crusaders) played the bass on "I Want You Back".

I have MJ's album with "Got To Be There"...it may be either Will Lee or Nathan East. Will have to verify that when I get back home to the cave(still 'no lights/power').

Ron Brown was another J-5 bassist.
    Jamerson did do "Darling Dear" from the Third Album(same album as "I'll Be There" & "Mama's Pearl").

There's nothing wrong with the J-5(or even The Jacksons). ;)
    Others to check out-
    "Never Can Say Goodbye"(my favourite)
    "ABC"
    "Love You Save"
    "Blame It On The Boogie"
    "Heartbreak Hotel"
    "Goin' Places"

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

What a great song, and great bass tone!

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Correct! I think he did 'ABC' as well(?) I'll have to dig out my old 'Bassist' magazines and check that.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Looking at http://www.bassland.net/jamersonhits.htm, seems like it could have been either of them. Regardless of who played it, smoking line!

8. it says in a Bass Player transcription that Wilton Felder played on "I want you back".

whoever played it, great line and tone.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    The line on "I Want You Back" does, IMO, sound a little 'busy' for Felder(the quasi-'solo' over the bridge).
    His Crusaders' basslines tend to be pretty cut & dried(from what I recall; big difference when Pops Popwell hooked up as their bassist).

I dunno...could it be CK on "I Want You Back"?
    :p ;)

10. check out Bass Player July '98, p83;
    Wilton Felder comments on the line to "I want you back" and is co-credited for the transcription.
    he says the "quasi-solo" bit was written by Corporation member Freddie Perren.

11. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    So who is it on "Got to be there"? I've got to know!

12. SoCal1

SoCal1

Jul 18, 2011
    Wilton Felder played on I Want You Back, ABC, Stop The Love You Save, and several of the other early J-5 songs. Jamerson played on just a few...his best being Darling Dear...They went to Philadelphia after leaving Motown to record with Gamble and Huff, and after that, came back to L.A. and albums like Victory used the usual L.A. studio guys with Louis Johnson on bass and the Toto guys like the Porcaros playing on those tracks...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  13. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Gypsy Caravan
    Yeah, maybe I'm just old, but I dig a lot of Jackson 5 material, unashamedly. Prefer it to MJ's solo stuff by far, for the most part. As has been pointed out, some GREAT lines in a lot of those tracks.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Newport News, VA via NYC
    Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Yeah most of the J5 stuff was killin' musically. MJ's work with Quincy Jones was stellar as well. Outside of that he's had some hits and some misses.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  15. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I Want You Back most definitely is Felder. Carol did none of the J5 hits. Nor did Will Lee..

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I never enjoyed listening to either the J5 or MJ, but playing J5 songs is a blast - great backline, great groove.

17. giddygoat

giddygoat

Mar 29, 2011
    new b
    I Want You Back is rumored to have been played by both Felder and Jamerson. One in Detroit and one in L.A. There is a David Ruffin version that is more likely to be the Jamerson track.