1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

jackson basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

no body talks about jackson basses here. have you played a jackson bass? what are the general preconceptions/experiences with or about jackson basses?
  2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

That depends. I owned a Jackson Concert bass back in the day and would still have it if it hadn't been stolen. The Jacksons I remember were great basses, sort of a modern P-bass on steroids. Mine had EMG's which made it sound clean, but there was that ability to dial in a nice, fat tone from it. Fit, finish and playability were really above reproach and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the circumstances were right.

As far as the new ones, I can't be any help since I've never played one. I've heard that since Fender bought Jackson, the quality has been questionable. The best thing to do is play one or many and reach your own conclusions.
  3. 7string

7string

I agree. The older one's were better

Mine's a Kip Winger signature, which was designed by Kip Winger and Grover Jackson. I played a couple of the Concert basses and they were great as well.

They still sell Concert's with EMG's in them, but they're bolt-ons, the older one's were thru-necks.
  4. ryco

ryco

I have a '83 Jackson Concert Pro V and it plays and sounds great!
    Bought it for $650 out of a pawn shop.

Versatile tones, good for slappin'. I think some ppl have a problem with the pointy headstock. Bolt on neck is a little wide and shallow, but doesn't bother me.

Here are some fans.
  5. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

yeah am (i think) talking about pre fender acqusition. but am not really sure how do i tell them apart?
  6. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

all i have been told on phone is that its a five stringer; with 3 band active eq; and it was made while jackson had a manufacturing factory in India (which i found out to be true)
    i am yet to check out the bass personally
    the pickups are probably stacked j's because i have been told that the pickups are humbucking and like j pickups....
  7. ashtray

ashtray

I have a '94 Jackson Professional (made in Japan) JPB-7. Kinda rare, but they pop up every once and a while. I like the body shape a lot (it's a lawsuit bass, so they only illegally made them for about a year). Neck is pretty thin though, and unfortunately mine is a flip-metallic blue to purple - but the color usually stays in a weird shade of purple. Really just need to repaint mine, and I think I'd play it a heck of a lot more! :)
  8. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

the "could be mine" is red :p
  9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

You know, now that I put a little hindsight into it I think the Jackson Kip Winger/"Futura" model was the first Jazz-type bass that I truly liked, long before I realized it consciously and made the move in that direction as a player.

I think in general it's a Catch-22 for Jackson - they're not really seen as a "bass company" by both musicians in general and bassists specifically so they don't put R&D funds into that area. But by not doing that and only continuing to sell Concert Basses, that perception will not change.
  10. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

I have played and owned a bunch of USA Jacksons over the years. The Custom Shop ones were, are great. Nice necks and the electronics were good. Graphics galore to be had. There is quite a difference in each one as far as sound, playability, ect that I have noticed. They were usually loaded with emg's unless you got the 80's to early 90's models which had their own JE-2000 preamps which were killer 2 band preamps.

They did do a nice US production run of concerts in the mid 90's that are nice also.

I believe the basses seemed to be an after thought for the company. Unless you ordered from the custom shop, not much for choices. Gotta love the pointy basses :bassist: They currently do not have a US line of basses. I don't think that the company cares to get any bigger in the bass world. Jackson basses have been around since the early 80's-2008 and not much has really changed.
  11. ashtray

ashtray

[​IMG]

Just had to add a pic to this thread! :smug:
  12. mike phillips

mike phillips

i had a jackson kelly. i loved it except for the damn neck dive. it sounded sweet. the reason it let it go was my daughter wanted a les paul and her birthday was comin up.
  13. amimbari

amimbari

NICE!!!! I own an equally RARE 94 TBX-PRO ( T-bird body ) bass.

and your right this forum is not a "Jackson" forum, these models just aren't as popular as the others for the masses in here. The JCF forum sucks for bassplayers, ans they won't even acknowledge bassplayers as people over there, THATS WHY I'M HERE :D:D

anyway, I have owned it since brand new it has seen hundreds of gigs in almost 15 years, and what can I say about it beyond that? It was, and still is perfectly playable for my type of playing, and my type of music. Here's a picture of it next to my Epiphone T-bird.

[​IMG]
  14. 3toes

3toes

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I always wanted a Jackson JJ bass modeled after the Scott Ian JJ guitars.
  15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I have a Charvel/Jackson 1988 B3 bass.
    Upgraded EMGs, but still the passive preamp. Very P-ish, but with tons more thunder.
    And the firecrackle finish ALWAYS is an eye-catcher. ;)

It's a very solid bass, neck through with nary a scratch and got it for $450.
  16. lavmonga

lavmonga

Don't own one, but I always wanted to try one of these badboy JJ's out:

[​IMG]
  17. shark1

shark1

Who says Jackson basses ... :cool:

[​IMG]
  18. rovito

rovito

I have had six Jackson basses over the last twenty five years. All of them were great. Still have this one. Named my son after it so it will have to stay.
    [​IMG]
  19. bassist 4 life

bassist 4 life

ah amimbari will love chatting with you, youve got to jackson tbirds!
  20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    That green one needs a whammy bar! :bassist::bassist:

I haven't seen one of those T-birds in ages.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.