1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jaco Pastorius Barbary Coast - play along "minus bass" track

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Alfik, Feb 18, 2013.

?

Which sound do You prefer

1. Line only

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Line mixed with miked speaker

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I do not hear the difference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I can not decide

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Alfik

Alfik

It is my favorite Jaco Pastorius tune attempted to play by myself. 
It took Me about year to practice. I not a Master Jaco so I am not able to recreate his subtle and ingenious phrasing and feeling but anyway I think the song is worth to cover. There is a lot of music to learn from it.

The "minus bass track" was created by Emil Jeleń from original arrangement (from Weather Report "Black Market" Album). It was a lot of work, so I want to share it with bass community.

Bass, mix and master - Błażej Domański
    It was played on 1973 Alder Rosewood Fender Jazz Bass converted to fretless with fullerplast coated fingerboard, Badass II bridge, Fender Original 62 Pickups, Ernie ball stainless steel strings.
    Pickguard was removed for sonic reason (If instrument itself sound very “alive” there is audible sonic difference when You remove pickguard (the tone is a little brighter and articulate especially on E strings). Fans of 15”speakers and flatwound strings may not notice it but if You play bride pickup only jazz bass with tone full open is audible enough at least in the studio.

Recorded thru modified SWR GrandPrix Preamp To Mbox 3 Pro with and without miked Aguilar GS 210 Speaker. Usually I record with more HiFi modified Demeter HPB1, but this time I try to recreate mid 70ties kind of sound.

The minus bass track for those of You who want to practice this song is here:
    http://www.voila.pl/218/mfwmh/?1

if is not working please email me bassalf@z.pl

My attempt to play this tune is here:

Direct + Line (post EQ) + miked Aguilar GS210

Direct + Line (post EQ)

p.s. Which sound You prefer - line only or line mixed with miked Speaker?
    p.p.s. Sorry for my bad English
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM
  2. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I like the direct version. Nice playing!
  3. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

One of my favorite Jaco tunes. You did it justice. ;)
    I liked the first one, (line + miked spkr)
  4. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor

Nice! Did you use effects?
  5. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

This is great, great interpretation, great playing! I like the Direct + Line.
  6. Alfik

Alfik

Thank You for good words:)

To Mr Spin Doctor:

Signal chain which I've used in this recording

I an recording engineer so... :)

Preamp was an old SWR Grandprix - modified for better sound quality - exciter do not cut 200Hz on neutral position and now work as 6dB/0ct boost at 40Hz and 4kHz; all Opamps changed to OP275. Separate Direct and Line signals were recorded to Mbox 3 at home studio. Reamped in studio with modified SWR SM900 and modified Aguilar GS210 (tweeter changed to Selenium 220TI) with EV Re20, MD421 and Octava 219 condenser (for tweeter) mics, recorded with Neve1073 direct to pro tools. During mix I use a little bit of compression from SOS audio Upgrades compressor (boutique SSL buss comp clone) and Millennia Media Twincom (long attack 30ms 100ms release 4:1 and 2:1) Max compression was about 3dB. Trying to emulate Master Jaco Tone I've added about 3dB at 180Hz on Neve 8803 Eq. Thats all.
    The "octaver tone" on first 4 bars is my second fretless, also Jazz bass but with old Bartolini 94JT quadcoil pickup. Bartolini give it dipper tone and I've played with very light touch trying to blend with main bass.
    The whole bass track is not edited. I've recorded about 20 takes of whole song and choose one which I've liked best.
  7. the low one

the low one

Nice playing, and those flatwounds sound great too.
  8. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Nice! I like the mix of amp and DI, personally. Your tone and touch almost remind me more of Alphonso Johnson-not a bad thing!
  9. Alfik

Alfik

Thank You Roy :) I do not deserve to be mention in one post with such incredible bass Hero like Alphonso Johnson.
    Also thank You for Your educational material on You Tube.

to The Low One:
    those actually were roundwound strings :)
  10. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Really great playing. Your attack is so distinct that it sometimes sounds like you are playing it with a pick. More so in your amp version. It's hard to say which version is better. I like them both. I'm a stickler for intonation and you are dead on!
  11. tbone0813

tbone0813 Supporting Member

Great playing. Amazing touch and tone.

I prefer the line plus speaker. Both sound really good though.

Don't apologize for this. I have heard much worse from native speakers. Your musical language is amazing I might add.
  12. rictrose

rictrose

great playin man!!! wooooooo funky!!!!
  13. rictrose

rictrose

BTW thanks so much for posting the link to the track too. very cool of you
  14. Salamenster

Salamenster

I liked the first one better, more cutting, more 'punch'. GREAT playing btw!