1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jaco Pastorius - Modern Electric Bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Nov 28, 2012.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

That's the one instructional video I know of worth a damn. Worth paying for, IMO.
  3. Already In Use

Already In Use

Wow! New dose of tacklin' fuel!
  4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

The best of the best! RIP Jaco.
  5. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

The lesson which stood out for me was Jaco explaining how the bass guitar was an inherently noisy instrument and he practiced it was to discover ways to control extraneous noise
  6. WJGreer

WJGreer

The internet is amazing. I used to have to go to the fine arts library at the University of Texas, where I could check this video out to watch there in the library for no more than 30 minutes at a time. Now you can just watch it on YouTube.

Great video. Based on Bill Milkowski's biography, which is not without controversy, Jaco was in very bad shape at the time this was shot, essentially homeless IIRC. I only mention that because it illustrates what a wonderful player and insightful person Jaco was all the way through his jounrey.
  7. chuck norriss

It's good to hear them talk. It's good to hear them play.
  8. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Could Jerry Jemmott still play at the point? How much of a recovery did he make from his injuries?
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yeah, Jaco even looks rough in the video. The quote by him when asked what it is like to play with the greats and he says "Get me a gig" is such a depressing statement on the state his life was in at the time.
  10. chuck norriss

I'm going to watch it again right now. Peace.
  11. chuck norriss

12. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

There are players who can play faster, there are players who can play eleventy string basses fluidly, but Jaco will always be the one who showed us the new way of playing.
    He was an outstanding musician, bass playing aside. He wrote charts for his 20 piece (?) Invitation Big Band, they came in and played them live, and the harmonic content was/is outstanding. No piano, no guitar, and the band just killed it.
    Clapton was God to guitarists in the 60s, and Jaco was God to bassists in the 70s. IMO, he still is today.
  13. WJGreer

WJGreer

But remember...Jaco couldn't improvise. ;)
  14. Portphilia

Portphilia

I watched this video at least 100 times all the way through during high school. I can't even describe how big of an impact this video had on me.
  15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I've seen clips of this in the past, but this is the first time I've ever watched it (almost) all the way through in one sitting. It certainly has given me a much greater appreciation for him.
  16. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

As someone who idolises Jaco and rates him without any contest as the greatest musician ever on our instrument, I always find it very sad to watch that video, impressive though the playing is in places. But knowing what Jaco achieved as a player at his peak and seeing what had become of him at that point in his life is just tragic.
  17. chuck norriss

Well his head drops in the beginning but then he resurrects as the video goes on. We grieve for him but celebrate his virtuosity and his badass-ness. I didn't understand the phrase s/he still lives in us, for the longest time, but I may understand now.
    There are a few people in this world who I wish were still alive, so ****ing bad.
  18. oboylebass

oboylebass

It's like:

Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, Jaco Pastorius...
  19. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

I guess I've always watched it (I bought it years ago) through the "filter" of knowing what he was up against at the time. It's hard to watch it without that knowledge constantly making you think about the whole thing.

I was lucky enough to see Jaco at his absolute peak with Weather Report and for that I'm forever grateful.
  20. chuck norriss

The closest I get is my Trilogue Live dvd.