Jacoby Ellsbury signs with the Yankees

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, Dec 3, 2013.

1. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

2. matante

matante

I don't know who that is but his name sounds like he should be playing cricket or polo, not baseball.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Brian Cashman is a moron. 7 years and $150 million for a guy that's always hurt? To play a position that's already filled by a guy that is just as fast. I think he'd be a good addition to the team if they got him for a lot less.

They need a 3rd baseman
    They may need a shortstop
    But go ahead a keep bulking up that outfield
  4. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

The Yankees can have him. Good player but a real Wuss; always hurt, not a real teammate (from all i've read and heard) and has his streaks. Good luck, maybe you will sign Robinson Cano too for 10 years at 30 Million per! HA HA!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

They arent going to retain Granderson so it does make sense to sign an outfielder but Im with you. They could have done without Ellsbury. Should of went after Marlon Byrd instead. Good hitter and could of get him for ALOT less and have a better shot at retaining Cano and signing Garza and/or Kuroda
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Byrd signed with Philly a few weeks ago. As a Pirate fan, I was disappointed. I was hoping he would stay with the Pirates.

-Mike
  8. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    As a Red Sox fan, I would have preferred that Ellsbury stay in Boston and I hoped that he would go anywhere but the Yankees, but I'm not surprised that it went down this way.

Ellsbury is a very good player, a legit All-Star, leadoff hitter and a good fielder (although with a weak arm) and if money is no object as it is with the Yankees and the Dodgers, then it is a good signing.

Boston does have a budget (although it is very large) and the Sox where reportedly at 5 years at 20 million a year which was a pretty decent offer and there is some talk that they might have been willing to go to 6 years. I don't fault the Red Sox management for letting him go especially since Bradley Jr. is essentially following Ellsbury's path - partial year at age 23, full year at age 24. Bradley in 2014 is not going to give you what Ellsbury would, but he should be OK and has the potential to be a slightly slower version of Ellsbury in the future.

I think the injury-prone knock on Ellsbury is a little overblown - his injuries were the result of violent impacts (other players, walls, the ground) not that his body is falling apart. If he continues to run into things, then maybe you have to put some of that on the player, but for me, Ellsbury's injuries are more a function of bad luck than anything else.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

That may be so but it doesn't change the fact that he's spent a good amount of time on the DL. If you're hurt you're hurt.

7 years is a long deal. If they got him at the same 5 year deal the Red Sox were looking for it would make better sense. The Yankees are notorious for doing deals like this, and in the recent past pretty much all of them have ended badly or are still ongoing and are obviously bad, like Arod.
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Need a 2nd Bassman now! Train wreck
  11. dangnewt

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe the Yankees do have a budget after all! If A-Rod's suspension is upheld which I think it should and will be - does that mean that the Yanks might be under the luxury tax cap?

Will they fill the 2B spot internally, trade or free agent?
  12. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Shame seeing Cano go...will lead the league in walks for the next 7 years playing in Seattle.
  13. dangnewt

Media:
    Albums:
    The Sox would have been tempted to match the money at 5 years, but I think that the Yanks probably could have gotten him for 6 years at 22 instead of 7 years at 21.857. The Sox might have gone for 6 years at 20; but probably not at 22. Unless the Mariners or someone else was willing to go 7 years, I'm not sure why the Yankees gave him those years unless its just part of the Yankee Tradition.

Whether it is a good deal or not, will depend on his staying on the field. But if he does, you'll like what you see and he'll be worth the money.

I'm starting to worry that the Sox won't resign Napoli, he was a great fit for the team and the park.
  14. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

15. dangnewt

Media:
    Albums: