Jaco's Big Band Question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DougD, Mar 28, 2014.

1. DougD

DougD Bassman7654 Supporting Member

Ok. So I'm sitting here watching Jaco and his big band live in Japan and the question poped into my head. How did he choose the Orchestra? Did he just give the local chaps the gig? Did he travel with a few chosen key players? The logistics must have been a nightmare. :bawl:
    Anybody know how he did it?
  2. JimK

JimK

...it was all 'word of mouth', right?
    :)

Actually, I do not know...key players were in his small "Big Band" (Randy Brecker, Bob Mintzer, Erskine/Dennard, Alias/Airto(?), Molineaux, etc).
    IIRC, JP also had someone help with arranging/transcribing...I would think that individual had access to like-thinking Big Band guys.
  3. DougD

That's my point, transcribing and arrangements must have been ....hectic to say the least :)
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

The late Larry Warrilow was Jaco's arranger and musical collaborator for the big band material.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

There is still a Mintzer/Jaco connection with Bob playing with Jaco's son in the Yellowjackets. FWIW
  7. DougD

Ohhhh I didn't know that. Ima have to check out yj again lol.
  8. JimK

JimK

Felix P. is on the YJ's latest album.
    IMO, he sounds better (more aggressive?) with Jeff Coffin's Mu'tet.
    …with the YJs, he sounds a bit laidback?
  9. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Its like anything you do it over and over again it becomes easy (or easier) regarding Big Band Arrangements. Many of the players are from word of mouth and also who had played with previously living in New York. That was a good band. Great players and arrangements. Word of mouth gave Jaco the recognition not only as a bassist but as a writer as well. Very Gil Evans Like.
    As far as the Yellowjackets I didn't buy this new CD. It does not have anything to do with Felix, but it didn't excite me as with the other cd's.
  10. fmoore200

fmoore200

I've always thought about how tough scheduling must've been during the big band era.
  11. JimK

JimK

...what else did they have to do?
    :)
  12. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Especially the live Mu'tet.:bassist: I think when Felix is more settled with the Yellowjackets he'll stretch more. The live Yellowjacket youtube clips I've seen have more fire than the album for sure.