Jaco's Continuum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Jan 12, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

What effect is it that Jaco used in his original recording of Continuum? Can it be easily (inexpensively) duplicated live?

I also have a live & studio recording of Jaco performing it with John McLaughlin in the "Trio of Doom" album. He doesn't use the effect in either of those.
  2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

I know he used chorus, not sure on the exact pedal, he also used a bit of fuzz which is actually his acoustic 360 with the gain up
  3. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

It's entirely possible that he double tracked his line. He was known for doing that, giving a "chorus" type effect to his lines. Pretty amazing when ya think about it,..or try to do it yourself!
  4. REV

REV Supporting Member

My understanding is that he recorded it twice to thicken the sound.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I actually borrowed a Yamaha fretless from my luthier that had nearly the same effect throughout the entire bass. He described it as "fluting', although he stipulated that the phenomenon usually occurs around the 12th fret, usually when the instrument needs setting up.
  7. Swift713

Swift713

Try a short doubling delay, with a little finger vibrato on a fretless it makes a nice chorus effect.
  8. MIMike

MIMike

Jaco used delay. I believe he had two rack units that he used with his Acoustic amps.
  9. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

This is exactly correct. Rumor has it that it only took two takes, also! That is one seriously awesome solo to nail on a fretless two times in a row.
  10. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

So in effect the improvised jazzy solo wasn't improvised? Or at least not the second time?
  11. REV

REV Supporting Member

By the time he recorded it, he had been playing it for years.
  12. beggar98

beggar98 Supporting Member

Stories are that Jaco rarely improvised his solos in the studio. Most things were at least pretty well mapped out, if not written.

I hadn't heard that he double-tracked Continuum, or anything else. My understanding was that he used a couple rack mounted digital delays (MXR, I believe) and with a short delay time and some healthy vibrato he could get a chorus-type effect.
  13. dkelley

dkelley

yea double tracked is news to me also and I've studied his records and playing for decades. Could be true, just surprising to me is all. I've copped the tone for live performances of continuum several times just with a delay though, although a subtle slow rate chorus into a delay is even prettier.

The only way I've heard a bass do that by itself (with reference to the yamaha comment someone posted earlier) is when the strings were twisted when being installed - which is a pretty amateur mistake. If the store guy couldn't identify the problem as twisted strings then he shows his lack of knowledge right there.... although I have to admit to having done it a couple of times myself in recent years when rushing to change strings.
  14. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Interesting. If you check out "A Portrait of Jaco: The Solos Collection" it describes how he recorded "Continuum" and it definitely states that it is a pre-meditated solo recorded twice and overdubbed. It is well known that Jaco wrote most of his recorded solos and did this "doubling" trick a few times.

15. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

That sound of Jaco's was not from a chorus unit but from a delay unit. Just a short, doubling-type of delay gets the effect perfectly.
  16. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Wow, I didn't know that, but I believe it. Pretty cool.
  17. Lownote38

Lownote38

It wasn't exactly chorus. It was an artificial doubler (ADT) which is a little different from chorus. The Beatles used it on their vocals a lot. Jaco used that on Continuum as well.
  18. dkelley

dkelley

cool info, I missed that one. annoying! LoL

I'm always learning exciting new things - the great thing about being a musician! doesn't matter how long you do it, there is ALWAYS more to learn (as long as you keep an open mind).
  19. bassbones2

bassbones2 Supporting Member

overdub….true….but live…..MXR pitch transposer

JB
  20. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I have been able to get close to the sound using a Boss DD-7 delay with a short delay time, and even adding a very slight amount of chorus from a Boss CEB-3 chorus pedal. Doesn't take much of either. Make it natural.
  21. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Chorus and a short delay... If this delay was on a snare it would be called a "Slapback" delay. However, the delay is low in the mix, you hear it more when harder attack is played...

Much of the sound comes from Jaco's fingers on the fretless...

Old video of me playing Continuum on my Fender Jaco Relic -

No effects on either, bass direct into computer... Use audio drop the tracks into some software and play with effects :D