1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jaco's teacher

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Melamel, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Melamel

Melamel

I have read a lot about Jaco, but a teacher is never mentioned. He says he learned from listening and playing. Did he have any formal music education? Did he ever take lessons?

I know he taught others. Did his students think he was a good teacher?

David
  2. msaone

msaone

All I know about Jaco is what I've heard from his modern bass video. According to that he was self taught, the bass player decided to quit so Jaco jumped off the drums and learned bass within a week.

He taught himself to read music the same way he did everything else, practice.

He's only taught me posthumously, and I have no complaints.
  3. winegamd

winegamd

According to his biography he switched to bass after he broke his wrist after experiencing a loss in strength necessary for certain styles. When he first started he learned by ear like most players from that era. Eventually after joining wayne shorter and weather report he did get formal training in general music theory from members of the band. His two finger 16th lines were inspired by Jerry Jemmot and Rocco Prestia. His use of harmonics and false harmonics was from watching jazz guitarists.
  4. JimK

JimK

A local bassist, Carlos Garcia, is also mentioned as "an influence" in Bob Bobbing's liners to Portrait Of Jaco: The Early Years. Garcia had the muted 1/16th note thing goin' on &, IIRC, Garcia was also using an Acoustic bass amp. Garcia's band was named Nemo Spliff.

General Music Theory happened pre-Weather Report with Charlie Brent (Jaco's stint with the C.C. Riders)...this is mentioned in Bill Milkowskoi's Jaco bio.

Here's an excerpt from Milkowski's book; talks about Garcia/Nemo Spliff-
    http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=31395&pg=3
  5. winegamd

winegamd

It was Milkowsky's biography I was trying to remember. I do recall the C.C.Riders. I got them confused with wayne shorter.