Jag build: ssss

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by EricssonB, Dec 22, 2012.

1. EricssonB

EricssonB

Well, my parents just had to go'nd get me a router for Christmas, so I guess I'll be building.

-- Four Jags; two basses and two guitars.
    -- Not sure of the wood yet. Something pretty. Not painted.
    -- Carved tops. Gradients are ~1/4" depth difference, except the dark grey outline is like binding, but not. Think Schecter.
    -- Likely MM-style pickups.
    -- VV and a stacked bass and treble pot.
    -- passive components.
    -- Series/parallel and tone bypass switches.

I do not build necks, so I'll be sure to have these fit standard P neck heels and probably buy through Mighty Mite.

Ignore the text that's directly below this. Credits to the incredible wealth of knowledge on tdpri.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

Cool! Is this your first build? If so, drop three of the four guitars and concentrate on the first one 'till it's finished. You learn so much while building, that you'll regret that you didn't do them consecutively, being able to apply what you've learned previously. If you're experienced, ignore my comment ;).

Good luck, seems like a fun project!

3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Second, actually. First one was for my high school senior project in 2005. I'm no luthier, just know how to handle a few measurements and shape some wood.

You're definitely right though. I was going to hack away on a few cheaper cuts of wood before I spend the money on the final products.

I'll post updates on here, if anyone's interested.

4. EricssonB

EricssonB

On that note, I'm more than glad to take advice from folks who are in the know.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

A sculpted Jag sounds nice. I'll be watching!

In you pickup position collage, are the MM pickups based on the positions on a newer HH Stingray? And if so, is the bridge pup in the same position regardless of whether it's an H or an HH type?

7. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Good luck, I'll be watchin'

:bag:

8. EricssonB

EricssonB

Newer HH, I believe. They're all placed in positions based on the link below. HH, according to LindseyP. I'll be using these if I can't find more official documentation.

As far as I know, the bridge in H or HH are the same Ray sweet spot. Anyone contrary?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/pickup-placement-measurements-specific-basses-633640/

9. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

EricssonB, do you have a direct link to the thread? I'm having trouble finding it.

Also, very cool, a dual-MM Jag. :D

10. EricssonB

EricssonB

I thought so. My original plan was to just buy a Squier Vintage Jag and throw some MM pups in it. But I also want a new guitar and my friend wants some, hence building four.

Didn't I post the link? I'm on my phone... http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/pickup-placement-measurements-specific-basses-633640/

11. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Much obliged. :D

Subbed.

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Thanks for the link to that thread.

The thread itself shows some 1/4" difference to be present: 1976 MM Stingray H: 30-9/16; EBMM Stingray HH bridge: 30-5/16.

And the measurements I got from bgavins's spreadsheet put it even further from the nut, at 30.64, or a bit more than 30-5/8.

13. EricssonB

EricssonB

As of right now, I'm about $200 away from starting the hardware; tax returns will solve that. So I'll start physical work in a little over a month. Need router bits and junk.

Paul wants an MMP, which sounds really rad. Way cooler than a PJ. Would have to move the MM over just a smidge, as they overlap. As he's a P-man, he'd favor the P sweet spot over the MM sweet spot. He describes himself as Avery, Oliveri and McCartney. "Consistent, not too flashy. Picking. More of a pocket player, I guess. Utilitarian." -- PJWM

I'm HH with MMs, both in Stingray sweets. I'm starting to consider the MMJ though. I lean more towards Chancellor, Flea, Geddy and Alderete; I like to groove all over and dig into it.

[​IMG]
    ^^Why yes, they'd be sharing one massive pickup cavity.^^
    [​IMG]

14. EricssonB

EricssonB

Whoa man. Getting a nice chunk of change this year. Trouble is rejected my wants for needs.

With said, I need a few hundred dollars worth of tools. Buahaha.

(I don't see why the government incentivizes having chil'ren. Why should the government subsidize me life? Can't even pay its own bills!

"Oh, you had a kid at 18? Here's a ****load of money every year until he moves out!!")

15. EricssonB

EricssonB

"Waiting is hard, ****ing takes so long..." -- Kyuss, "Space Cadet"

16. EricssonB

EricssonB

Yeah, this project never went away in my brain, but never left my bank account.

Got a router for Christmas, which is a big, big part of this effort.

Got a GoFundMe for the rest! Any help is appreciated!

17. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Seems promising, subscribed.